cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Category in Sales Order

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends,

I created one sales order..here, one item category is determined and it is editable...now i want to know

1) how is the item category determined?

2) if I'm able to change the item category, what effect it will have on the document? is it allowed?

thanks,

Viren.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As specified above, the item category is determined in the order line item based on the assignments made. Adding to the above details for assignment - you have to specify the Default item category and also the (possible) manual item categories. The default item categories specified in the assignments will be defaulted in the order line item (by taking the sales doc type, item category group of that material specified in the MMR.....). You can change the item categoriy in the sales order line only to those item categories specified as manual item categories in the assignments and you cannot change it to others.

The change of item category will not have any effect on the whole document. It controls the behaviour of that line item only. The possible impact could be on the net value of the document - eg: if the item category is changed to TANN - the net value of the document will lesser than earlier.

Thanks,

Ravi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. item category is determined based on the sales document type , item usage , item category group and higher level item.

2. we change the item category at the sales order level based on the setting done in item catergory determination.

if you give the manual item category . then you have the chance of changing at the item level. but the system first determine the manditiory item category.

3. say a example if the finished goods we are manufacting, but do to the problems we have now getting the material from the vendor.

so first system determine the TAN as item category, but we are now getting the material from vendor so we have to change the item category to TAS if this item category is assigned to manual item category.

thanks

kunlta

Former Member
0 Kudos

thakns all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The item category will be determined by the system based on the item category determination, this is depends upon the following:

Sales document type, Item Category Group, Usage, Higer level item. If you want to change the item categroy group then you need to maintian the manual item categroy in this assignemtn.

But changing the item categroy can cause unwanted results in the sales order, because item categroy controls how the item (material) should behave in the sales document. When you chage the item category, it will redetermine price, billing relevency, delivery relevency, schedule line ..etc.

Prase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Viren,

Item Category is determined by the combination of

1) Sales Doc type

2) Item Cat Grp on Material Master

3) Item Usage

4) Higher level Item( for BOM etc..)

I'm not sure on the whole set of effects, it might have if we change it in the order.

I hope I've helped to some extent.

Rgds,

Raghu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Raghu..

but I am looking for the whole impact on the document as such? any effect on pricing? and also, why should the item category be allowed to change manually?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pratap,

There are two parts to your answer 1) item category is determined by the

1)sales document type

2) Item Category Group

3) Higer Value Item

4) Item Usage.

The basic function of an item category is,it tells us that what product or item u have in the order for example is it a free product if yes the item category would be called TANN which is the item category for free goods.It mainly gives u a decription of the product that you have in your order. All item categories have names like TANN. TAN which are of German Origin.

The second part is item category is useful since it tells us if

1) The item should be priced

2) If certain text items are relevant for delivery.

3) It will also tell you if the item you plan to bill is the same blocked for billing.

4) It will tell you if the item is of special stock which means is it a consignment stock.

5) It will also tell u if the item is of business items, business items are those items of which business data may vary.

Thanks,