cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Component

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why is it required to define a Software Component and Software Component Version?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

wilsonrsantos
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Radha !

Software Component and Software Component Version are objects that are showed at Integration Repository(Design) of XI, when you use the option Tools->Transfer from System Landscape Directory...->Import Software Component Versions...

They are used to encapsulate interface objects relative to the systems that they represent.

For example, suppose that in your company you have a non-SAP system called "Inforoad", used to helpdesk team registers support calls, and you need to integrate this system with the SAP Solution Manager. I will need to have a Software Component for "Inforoad" system, to build the interface objects inside namespaces created inside the SWCV(Software Component Version) - note: this was a real scenario to me ;o).

Additionally, objects belonging to SAP Solution Manager(for example, RFC Functions), may be imported inside a Software Component Version relative to Solution Manager.

As you can see, this is very useful to organize the interface objects that you need to use. Suppose that you create a single "fake" software component version and, inside it you create all interfaces objects, relative to all interfaces between all systems existing in your integration scenario...this will lead to very difficult maintenance, and posterior monitoring of interfaces build in these conditions.

So, basically, it´s a question of better organize your integration environment. There is some times when you will not create a software component version to encapsulate interface objects: when you need a interface between a real system, like SAP or even a non-SAP system, and some type of service, like an interface to send an e-mail: in this case, you will not consider the mail server as a system(do this sounds like consider an Excel Sheet as a System), so probably you will create the interface objects relative to it(data type, message type, message interface, message mapping...), inside the software component version of the sender system, in this example.

I hope this info helps you !

Best regards,

Wilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wilson,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Good example. I understood it.

Thanks,

Radha

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

because if you dont define it, you cannot develop any integration secnario. Why? because when you define a SWCV latter u must import it to Integration Repository (Desig). once you imported it you must define a namespace where all strcutures, mappings and BPM will be created.

Thanks

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A Software Component Logically packages all your Integration Repository Objects as a single entity.

It is slightly analogous to your Development class in SAP parlance.

Versions will provide you an option of adding new functionalities/features to your previous version's content, without affecting the original content.

Regards,

ravi