cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2E License Key File With Changed System Number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

During the last weeks, there had been some trouble according to the sneak preview licensing web site to get a new license key for special SAP systems like J2E, NSP etc.

In the meantime, I used especially for my J2E instance via visual admin the button "install subsequent temp license" with success.

Returning anew to the web site today, I saw that now we are able again to renew the license key for our trial systems and ordered successfully license keys for J2E and NSP instance.

Because both systems have got new system numbers, I deleted the expired license key for NSP via saplicense -delete. Then I installed regularly the given new license key with success.

After starting the J2E instance, I tried to delete the existing active license (see above) via installed licenses getting a message which let me stop my try to delete the license because I feared for to get trouble with the system afterwards.

The exact text of the warning trying to delete the existing active license sounds:

DELETE J2EE-Engine_ADA License:

You are about to delete the license for the J2EE-Engine. This may lead to a shutdown of the running system. You will not be able to start the J2EE-Engine again without a valid license. Do you really want to proceed?

Trying to install the given license from file (via General), I got the informational message:

This system's system number is "xyz", but there is a license key for the system number "abc" in file path\J2E.txt. License key file path\J2E.txt doesn't contain any valid SAP license keys.

License key(s) not completely installed.

That was to be expected...

So my questions are:

1) What is to do when I want to implement the new given license key file which has another system number as the existing active one.

2) How often can I use the possibility to prolong my active license via button "Install subsequent temp. license" in future without falling in trouble?

Thank you for your answers.

Regards

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before deleting the J2EE engine license, check the "Installed Licenses" tab and verify that there is another J2EE-engine license with Validity "Valid" and within a satisfactory date range. Only under this situation will I feel comfortable with removing the additional/expired licenses.

Your original message is a bit confusing ... let me see if I got it correctly. You have been running your J2EE instance with temp licenses, because there was some issues w/ preview licensing on SAP's web site. Now that you have finally received your preview license, you wish to install it.

But since then, your system number has changed. Do you mean system ID? Since your example used a 3 character ('xyz' vs 'abc'). I think the SID is what you mean. Because changing system number will not require a new license, but changing the SID will.

So now you have the following.

1. J2EE running on temp license with SID 'xyz'

2. A new preview license for SID 'abc'

What you need to do is:

1. Request from SAP preview license for the SID that matches your system 'xyz'. OR, change the SID of your system from 'xyz' to 'abc', which is not recommended ...especially w/ AS-JAVA.

2. Install the new preview licenses.

3. Verify preview licenses are valid.

4. I don't believe you have to remove the temp licenses, it's overwritten when you install the permanent preview licenses.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your quick reaction.

When I say system number than I mean system number. I only used the "xyz" and the "abc" to make clear that the actual active license in the running system (SID: J2E) has the one system number (call it "xyz") and the new license key is using the other one (I called it "abc").

Under "Installed Licenses" there is only the mentioned active license. Similarly to my ABAP instance (here I got also a new license key with another system number) I wanted to delete that license. But in controverse to the ABAP license (it had already been expired) this active J2E license is always valid.

So pls. read my questions anew therewith I become able to install the new license (expiring 20081008) which I got today from SAP.

Regards

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

With the aid of SAP note 836348 I got my prolonged sneak preview license running.

Thank you.

Answers (0)