Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile applications in device

RaajkumarV
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi, I am using a device configured for MI 2.5 SP15. This is configured for mobile application (MAM 2.5).

If I want to provide this to other user, who is using other mobile application (MSR 2.0), but based on the same MI platform.

Is this allowed? Can user2 use the same device ID created by user1?

Best regards, Rajkumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

Yes. You can have two different user using the same mobile device running two different applications.

Regards,

Rahul

RaajkumarV
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

How do we handle a situation, when we have different Middleware server for applications?

Question 1:

Is it possible to handle this situation? or should user2 should reset the device and configure everything fresh?

Question 2:

Will the applications deployed by user1 is visible to user2?

Thanks a lot for inputs.

Regards, Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

Before I could answer you, I will like to know somethings.

1. Are user1 and user2 going to share the device? I mean is user1 finished with the device and never going to use it again.

2. By two Middlewares do you mean that there two different MI servers? Is the device going to communicate with both servers?

At this point I can only tell you that the applications deployed for one user are never visible to others users unless explicitly assigned by the Admin of the webconsole.

Regards,

Rahul

RaajkumarV
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Yes, both your questions hold good. Thanks for all quick responses.

- Both users will share the device

- Same device has to communicate with different MW servers

I think this is quite optimistic, but hope there are answers for this

Regards, Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajkumar,

I will first tell you first how I have interpreted your situation:

You have two diff users who will sharing a single device, which in turn will be communicating with two different MI servers.

Easy way out : You can simply put both the applications on the same MI server. However, as Frank said that both the users will have to be careful of the operations performed.

If you have to use two different MI servers then things will very complicated.

Whenever a device synchronizes with a MI server for the first time, the server assigns the device a unique device id. This is used by the MI server for further communication with the device eg. to identify the data containers coming from the device. Once the device id is assigned to device, it cannot be directly modified. However, I have found way out of this. You device id is present in a file MobileEngine.config under the folder ...\Program Files\SAP Mobile Infrastructure\settings with heading MobileEngine.Sync.Deviceid.

Everytime the device swithes from one MI server to another, the device Id assigned by that particular server has to pasted their. Make sure that you copy the device id of other server some where before doing so, so that you can copy it before switching to that server.

All the best!!!

Regards,

Rahul

RaajkumarV
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thank you Frank, Thank you Rahul for the input.

Cheers, Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello raj,

just an additional info.

sharing the device could mean:

1) sharing the physical device

-> users may be assigned different applications

2) sharing same application data

-> your application should support persisting of data

into the shared repository

3) sharing of application only but not the data

-> the same application could be used/assign to

different users but the data are located

separately.

so if you are to design your application, you should

consider which level of sharing are you going to employ.

regards

jo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajkumar,

yes that should work.

But be carefull if you are using Trusted-Systems for the communication to the backend in SM59.

If user 2 syncronizes to middleware and user1 has non synced application data on device the data is transfered to backend with user id of user2. So user2 didn't know that he is perhaps creating MAM-orders in backend from other applications(if he has the permissions on backend;-)

Correction: You only have this problem when using generic sync applications with "VisibilityType.SHARED" when creating outbound container. I think you dont have this problems in this case.

Regards

Frank

Message was edited by: Frank Brackmann