cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when an instance profile parameter is set outside it's range ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have in our instance profile the parameter "Auth/auth_number_in_userbuffer" set to a value of 9000. The valid range is 1 - 2000.

What will happen within the instance ? Will it fall back to the default value of 800 ? Or is the parameter completely ignored ?

On the web I found the following, from which I learned what the default was:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

u2022 Auth/auth_number_in_userbuffer When a user logs onto SAP, the authorizations contained in the useru2019s profiles are copied to a user buffer in memory. The maximum number of authorizations copied is set by this parameter. The size of the buffer must always exceed the maximum number of authorizations as authorization checks are made only against those in the buffer. The default value is 800, but this can be set to between 1u20132000. Refer to OSS notes 84209 and 75908 for more detailed information regarding changes to the size of the user buffer.

Transaction SU56 shows the contents of the useru2019s user buffer and a total for all the authorizations in a user master record.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When running transcation SU56 as suggested I the total appears to be 1656. So it would be nice to know what is a good value for this parameter.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was curious to find what the maximum value should be set at, as our system is set at 9000, and of course, R/3 complains that it is higher than the maximum of 5000.

I believe one can find the value of authorisations for users by

either looking in SU56 for some users with all authorisations (eg SAP_ALL, SAP_NEW)

or running

select BNAME, COUNT(*) AS NUM from SAPR3.USRBF2 where MANDT='<your client number>' group by BNAME order by NUM asc;

both seem to end up at the same result, but the SQL obviously returns all users.

HTH,

Greg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well there is still a lot to learn for me regarding SAP. Which is a god thing, but does not make my life easier )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

a parameter, that is set higher "than allowed" is NEVER replaced by any substitution value !!!

=> if it is correct, it will work - otherwise the system might not drive up or fail otherwise ...

Unfortunately, there are MANY parameters, where you should use values, that are "not allowed" and even a lot of parameters, that are totally unknown - all of them work as you set them ... hopefully with useful values ...

9000 in this case is recommended in nearly every GoingLiveCheck by SAP )

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut international ag

http://www.consolut.de - http://www.4soi.de - http://www.easymarketplace.de

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We currently have auth/auth_number_in_userbuffer set at 9000 and our system runs without issue. We arrived at the number by increasing the parameter in increments on our Dev system until we got the number right for us.

We've had this set for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues as a result.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dan,

You wrote: "We arrived at the number by increasing the parameter in increments on our Dev system until we got the number right for us."

But how to you check this ?

It still sounds strange to me that you are able to set a parameter out of it's range, but if that is so, I will accept it as a fact.

Regards, Rudi van Helvoirt.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rudi,

We were getting error messages in SU01 when saving user profiles saying that there were too many authorisations in the users profile. The message did not tell us the exact amount, so we went up in increments of about 2000 until we stopped getting the message.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the answer. Just one question left, in your last answer you write 2000, earlier in a reply you wrote 9000. Which is above the valid value range I believe. Which is it now, because the 9000 is above the upper limit of this parameter.

Kind regards, Rudi van Helvoirt.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rudi,

We started at 5000 when we realised the initial value wasn't enough, and then increased this to 7000, and ultimately to 9000 during testing.

Hope that helps,

Dan