cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Labels in Sapscript Printer SATO, Code 128

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts, i need your help.

Please, i want print labels in my form Sapscript. The printer is the type SATO and the code is 128.

The label is the material number.

I don't have any idea how to do it, what i must declare in my form, wich style. In the internet, i see that we do some calcul and we add some symbols. I don't understand why the calcul, what these symbols.

Please, can anybody explain me the steps and what i must do it?

Thank you very much.

<MOVED BY MODERATOR TO THE CORRECT FORUM>

Edited by: Alvaro Tejada Galindo on Jul 10, 2008 4:10 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

i asusme you put your question wrong..and you wish to print a barcode for material number, right ??

just create a character format, and include any code 128 barcode type (se73 will give you list of existing barcodes.. ) you even can create one...

and in sapscript write <b1>&MATNR&</> (if b1 is the name of the character format u created.

or are you talking about how to design the label ???

there must be a label design tool, which came along with the printer, right ???

design the label, and put a field on the label, pass the value of matnr to that, and most probably, the tool will convert it is ITF . then go to SO10 in SAP, upload this label as a stndard text. then in your sapscript, just call this standard text using 'Include text'...

Edited by: Sujamol Augustine on Jul 9, 2008 9:16 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very very much Sujamol. You help me a lot.

You have right, is that i want. i put my question wrong.

I explain you what i want.

I want create a Sapscript Form, in this form, i must display some informations and 3 Barcodes: LTAP-MATNR, LTAP-NLENR and LTAP-CHARG. Below each barcode, i must display the number.

For example:

N Pallet: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I know that in the smartforms, we must create a new paragraph destined to Barcode.

In Sapscript, i don't have any idea. So, you say me that i must create a new character format, in se73 i will find list of existing barcodes and i must just assign this caracter format to my variables: <B1> &LTAP-MATNR&. (B1 is the cacarter format that i created).

Now, i dont undestand what means by Label? Is the number below the Barcode? That is it?

My printer is SATO, in this case i must ask them the design tool?

I don't unsderstand how i can put a field on the label and how i pass the value of matnr to that? the value of matnr is in my program SAP and how to link it to my Label design tool ? And how i can upload this label as a stndard text?

You say me that i must: call this standard text using 'Include text', but this text is not fixed, is LTAP-MATNR or LTAP-CHARG or LTAP-NLENR?

In SE73, exist too Printer Barcode, i must precise the printer in my Sapscript? How to do it?

I found one MF: PRINTER_BARCODE, i don't know if i will use it or no?

Excuse me i ask you a lot of questions but really i don't have any idea how to do it and i need seriously your help.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please clarify this.

1. Do you want to print a label or do you want to print on a normal paper (A4 or Letter Size )...

2. Pls give me the exact name of your printer.. (SATO has many like CL408, CL608, M84 Pro, GL4 e..etc ). Let me know, which is yours...(it should be there on the printer ).

If you are not sure what a 'Label' means --> If you are printing on a 4 * 6 INCH or 3 * 2 INCH (or any of these varying sizes, not on a normal A4/Letter paper ), if the printing stationary is in rolls... you load the roll into the printer.. (compared to normal printers in which we load paper as a stack), and if these paper has an adhesive strip beneath it.. (once printed you could remove the strip and just paste it on your package ) --- donno how to better explain, what a label means.. When you receive a package sent via UPS, you could see a barcoded label on it..

I will give you a detailed reply, once this info is given.

Dont worry about asking too many questions. I am glad to help you...

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Name of the Design tool with SATO is 'Label Gallery' - Contact your Basis/Admin guys. They should have a copy of that. Generally the design tools come free along with the printer. Install it in your PC. There should be many sample labels. (Do you mean that this is the first label, in your company ? are they not printing any labels so far ? ) you could start from one of those sample labels.

http://www.satoamerica.com/cms/Label+Gallery/29.html

2. In case you dont have Label Gallery, you could use Bartender from Seagull scientific for Label design. it is a lovely tool. You can download it free. SATO is supported by Bartender.

3. There are many approaches to print labels via those thermal transfer printers, from SAP.

--> You can print directly from SAP (real time). You create condition records, and assign sapscript/smart form and driver program, and as soon as the even happens (PGI, or Goods Receipt or whatever, the label prints...Print trigger is from SAP )

--> Print trigger happens from the Label Design tool. For eg, in case of bartender, (tis tightly integrated with SAP ), you set condition records, you write a program to generate an Idoc or a flat file . As soon as the event happen, the flat file is generated and saved in a destined directory. Bartender has something called 'Commander', which could be configured for monitoring these folder, and as soon as it see the new file, it triggers a print. In this case, Print is not triggered from SAP, you need not upload the label as a standard text to SAP, you need not create a sapscript/smart form in SAP. you just pass the required variables to be printed in the flat file/IDOC and label fields are mapped to fields in this IDOC/flat file. But this is also real time print --ie, no manual click required to print --> as soon as the event occur in SAP, printing of label happens.

Former Member
0 Kudos

--> Or else, you could do it in a more manual fashion. Condition records are required in this case also, when the event happen(eg : when Packing done in Delivery ), SAP creates a flat file, and save it in the destined folder. Then, a person manually login to the Label software, select the particular label and the flatfile from which data should flow..and click print... In this case also, no sap script, no standard text...

It is your job to find, which approach your company is using...This is the way Bartender, Label shop Pro (Intermec Printers design tool ), Auto Label (autobag printers design tool ) etc work. Disclaimer : i have never worked on either SATO or Label Gallery.

Now about Label Design..

1. You create a label using your label design tool. (it is just like Visual basic or even our dear SAP's screen design tool.)

2. you can drag and drop the barcodes, text containers, variable fields etc. For eg, if you have something like

Customer Part Number : |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PRN ZYZSDFGH

--> drag a text field : write Customer Part number in that.

--> drag a barcode field. when you place a barcode field, you will have option to select whether code 128 or data matrix of whatever the standard you need. also in the properties box of the bar code, you can select, where do you want to print the human readable form of partnumber. (whether on top of barcode, center or below the barcode).

3. Save the label. there should be a provision on the label design tool, to convert this label into ITF format. do that. now we have for eg, barcode_label1. ITF.

4. go to SO10 in SAP. give name zbarcode_label and hit create. From Menu> Text> Upload--> select radio button ITF. then browse in your system for barcode_label1.ITF. save the standard text. here is a sample of a standard text.

<STX>H6;o727,23;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Quantity:;<ETX>
<STX>H7;o1008,444;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Line:;<ETX>
<STX>H8;o1008,26;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Customer PO#:;<ETX>
<STX>H9;o867,25;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Customer P/N:;<ETX>
<STX>H10;o94,26;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Item:;<ETX>
<STX>H11;o124,26;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Desc:;<ETX>
<STX>H12;o1167,497;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Phone:;<ETX>
<STX>H22;o1102,28;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,Cust:;<ETX>
<STX>H23;o1073,497;f3;c20;h1;w1;d3,GTC Line: ;<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F0<DEL>&ADRC-NAME1&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F1<DEL>&MAINITEM-MATNR&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F2<DEL>&MAINITEM-ARKTX&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F3<DEL>&MAINITEM-BSTKD&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F4<DEL>&MAINITEM-ZSUNITQTY&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F5<DEL>&MAINITEM-POSEX&<ETX>
<STX><ESC>F13<DEL>&ADRC-TEL_NUMBER&<ETX>

Former Member
0 Kudos

<STX><ESC>F14<DEL>&ADRC-FAX_NUMBER&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F24<DEL>&MAINITEM-VGPOS&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F27<DEL>&MAINITEM-VGBEL&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F28<DEL>&SCHEDULEQTY&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F29<DEL>&MAINITEM-BSTKD&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F30<DEL>&MAINITEM-POSEX&<ETX>
 <STX><ESC>F32<DEL>&MAINITEM-MATNRKU&<ETX>

dont be panic seeing this code. It is all generated by the label software. See those &MAINITEM-MATNR& &MAINITEM-BSTKD& etc..

These are field which we will pass from SAP.

5. create an output type (say ZGCL) and condition records in SAP. create a driver program Z_LABELDRIVER. Create a sapscript Z_ZGCL. Assign these driver and form to output type ZGCL in TNAPR.

6. In Driver you will have code something like , (other than select statements, open_form etc..)

CASE NAST-KSCHL.
WHEN 'ZGCL'.
CALL FUNCTION 'WRITE_FORM'
       EXPORTING
*           element = 'DUMMY'
            ELEMENT = NAST-KSCHL
       EXCEPTIONS OTHERS = 1.

7. In sapscript you will have a text element with name 'ZGCL'. that will have code like

:/    INCLUDE Z_ZGCL OBJECT TEXT ID ST

Let me know if you have any questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sujamol,

I am very grateful to you. You show me a lot of things that i don't knew.

Thank you veryyyyyyy much Sujamol. It's very interesting and is well explained.

In the functional design there are the specifications below:

1- The printers will be networked SATO model numbers M84 Pro, M8400, M8400Rve, CL408e

2- The labels will be printed on self adhesive continuous form fed stationary. The label size will be 124mm wide by 100mm long.

There is some think specific for that? Or is the same think that me explained?

THANK YOUUU.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, that means , we need to print labels (almost 5 * 3 INches). The size of the label is not a big deal. The label feed is based on the perforation on the label. so it starts printing from the beginning of one label till it sees a perforation.

anyways, while designing the label, you could specify the size as given in your spec.

Start working on it..it is not as complex as my explanation Let me know, if you have any questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very very much Sujamol,

For the moment, they ask me to stop the task. They want modify some rules.

When i start it, i will tell you what happend and i will ask you if i need some thing o when i have problem.

I have an other question Sujamol, please.

I work for the moment on an other sapscript. And i want in this sapscript do subtotal for each page, and in the next page the total of the current page and the page previous and so on.

In Internet, i found that i must use the command

/: SUMMING &VAR& INTO &TOTAL_VAR&.

But i don't know when i must put it? In the main after display the item lines or before?

I find that i can use too BOTTOM ..... END BOTTOM. But how? Can you give me an example?

Thank you very much.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In the SAP Script, you have to define first page and the next page.

For every page, you have to define the windows e.g. Header, Main, footer etc.

You have to define paragraph formats and character formats.

The paragraph format will define the properties - like the font, tabs, field alignment, line spacing.

Character format will define the characteristics -like bold etc.

You need to define elements in each of the windows which will be called from the driver program.

Once you design the layout, then you can print the labels as desired.

Make sure you define the windows properly.

<REMOVED BY MODERATOR>

Thanks,

Sushil Joshi

Edited by: Alvaro Tejada Galindo on Jul 10, 2008 4:09 PM