cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro error: User session (HTTP/SMTP/..) closed after timeout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have developed a new webdynro for ABAP application which all works fine, apart from every so often i get an 'Error when processing request', with the error text being 'User session (HTTP/SMTP/.) closed after timeout'.

This only happens every so often and rarely in the same place, the session has not been left for any lenth of time inorder to trigger the session timeout parameter either:-(

Has anyone got any ideas what this could be or where i should start looking! any help or information would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mart

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It is very odd that you would get this message after a very short time. It does mean that your backend session died for some reason - usually timeout but there could be other reasons. Of course a system admin could kill your session intentionally or by accident if they restart the ICM (but not the whole application server). This would look similar to the timeout situation and could be reported as such. Generally a long running process will die, but produce a different error message. I would defintely get your basis admins involved to see if there are other serious problems on your system. Check ST22 and the ICM Log (transaction SMICM = then GOTO->Trace File->Display All) in order to see if there is any reason why this may be occuring.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for the replies,

We are looking into the suggestions made, we do actually seem to get a ST22 dump along with this error message which is as follows:

-

Runtime Errors UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION

Exception CX_WD_GENERAL

Error analysis

An exception occurred which is explained in detail below.

The exception, which is assigned to class 'CX_WD_GENERAL', was not caught and

therefore caused a runtime error.

The reason for the exception is:

WebDynpro Exception: Subclass of must overwrite/replace method .

-

Am trying to look through the OSS notes but my logon is playing up at the moment, in the mean time i dont suppose this error means anything to anyne does it!

Thanks and Regards

Mart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mart,

this is a very generous exception (as the name already says) and could have several root causes. Can you use the information from ST22 to find out where exactly this error occurs? Or maybe you can debug the application to find the codeline which raises this exception.

I am sure that people around here can help you if you can then post the part of the coding where the error occurs

kind regards

Philippe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep think thats what im going to have to do, only problem is the error never happens on DEV and only occasionally happens in production. Our initial though was that it was a server issue, because we load balance between several servers we were thinking that the problem might be with one of them so only users connected to that server would be effected. We have yet to prove or disprove this theory:-)

Regards

Mart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this problem, this error is not connected to the ST22 dump i mentioned earlier and only happens when calling Standard SAP F4 help functionality. Anyone got any further ideas what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Regards

Mart

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

That is good that you have been able to narrow it down to the F4. Now is it always the same search help object that causes the closed after timeout? If so, some DDic Search Helps were not designed for Web Dynpro. They have CALL SCREENS or GUI functions inside them - particularly if a search help exit was used. On older support packages these search helps will crash the Web Dynpro framework. That has been changed on the latest support packages to at least catch and report the error gracefully. The only real solution however is to not use that search help.

On the other hand if this happens with many different Search Help objects, then I suggest that you open a support ticket as this would be indicative of a bug.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for your reply, it is infact happning with many different search helps, and also does not happen in the same place i.e. sometimes it is when you first call the search help, other times its when you press the search button etc etc. The fact that it does not happen on dev is the bit thats bugging me though, maybe ill have a bit more play on dev see if i can get it to happen!

Thanks again

Regards

Mart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again to all those that took the time to reply to my post, just for closure I thought id let you know the issue turned out to be a load balancing problem. Im not entirly sure about all the technical details but due to a problem in the load balancing software it was balancing different parts of the same web dynpro application instance over different servers and depending on which one it was going from and to, meant it could not find the session data it was looking for, it therefor assumed it had timed out. The problem was not occuring on DEV because DEV does not do any load balancing.

The fix has also massivley improved the speed to an acceptable level as well, yay!

Anyway thanks again

Regards

Mart

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Very interesting. Web Dynpro always being stateful does have some particular needs when it comes to load balancing as you found out. Probably should have pickup up on that as a possible cause of the problem.

It sounds like your problem is solved now, but if you still need load balancing for Web Dynpro you can use the SAP Web Dispatcher. The Web Dispatcher knows about the special needs of stateful applications and also knows how to talk to the Message Server so that you can get intelligent load balancing across your ABAP application servers based upon total load on the system - not just web traffic.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please install the last WEB Dispatcher and read the note 866603

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mart,

usually this happens when your Web Dynpro App is calling some function module, which internally raises an error message. This message then kills your current Web Dynpro Session.

As Thomas already said it is most likely that you will find an error in ST22. I would try to find out which FM is causing this problem and apply some sort of exception handling.

kind regards

Philippe