cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL 2005 not recognize the tape drive?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a SQL 2005 Server (SP1) running on Windows 2003 server machine. Now windows can detect the tape drive attached to the system as 'HP StorageWorks DLT VS160'. Even 'ntbackup' detects it and is able to backup data to the tape drive. However, SQL Server is unable to detect the tape drive. The tape does not show up in the Backup Devices in Server Objects and hence I'm unable to take backups directly to the tape via SQL Server. How do I get SQL 2005 to recognize the tape drive?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

please see my OSS note 1115746, it explains in detail why the tape cannot be found.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont know if you trying to install new tape drive or old.

If its new, thn after installing Tape driver restart your server(tape should be online with correct light indication).

Then goto mycomputer->properties and under removable drives it should show your tape drives with name.

Second you can download the campatible HP tool from HP website, install and run.

It will tell you almost everything about your drives and you can upgrade tape firmware too.

Make sure you stop SAP service before running HP tool as it may restart your server too with blue screen or dump.

So be very sure about compatibility of the tool.

Regards

Mani