cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of AS Java to AS java + abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have installed a WebAS Java server a long time ago (but my sever is 6.40 SP14), but now i want to install a WebAS ABAP server on my preview installed WebAS Java Server in order to have an full WebAS Java + Abap server. Now my question is do i have to re-install all over again or can i do some kind of upgrade? and how can i do that? is someone have an documentation for do this???

Thanx in advance

MC

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mariana,

You cannot upgrade Java to ABAP+Java (add ABAP to Java instance).

You could add Java to ABAP instance to get ABAPJava, or install ABAPJava directly.

The installation guides for 6.40 and 7.0 releases are good starting points.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Victor is right.

But you have an alternate. If on the same box, you can have AS-ABAP & AS-JAVA installed with seperate SID's and link them. If you want AS-ABAP & AS-JAVA on the same SID, you have to reinstall.

Cheers

Shaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

Ok if i install the WebAS ABAP with another SID in the same box, how can i link those two stacks? is there any documentation available that you could give me in order to do that? or just the installation guide works for that?

Regards

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can create an RFC and JCo connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana,

You could execute the configuration wizard, mentioned in the guide. Different wizards are available for different purposes, and have different prerequirements, which you have to configure manually first. (This part is not fully covered in the guide.)

It might be easy for you to just install an ABAP+Java system.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Only with the creation of RFCs and Jcos those two system can comunicate??? are you sure???

Regards,

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

Yes, maybe you are right, the thing is that my WebAs Java is totally configure with an SAP EP on top of it, that is why i'm trying to look for an solution that doesnt involve configure all my systems again (re-install all including my SAP EP). May be you could indicate me where look for info or documentation to do the config of communication for those two diferent systems plis...i'll wait for your answer

Regards,

MC

Edited by: Mariana Castillo Gonzalez on Jul 9, 2008 4:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana,

RFC and JCo will give you the basic method to connect between ABAP and Java.

Meanwhile if you want to take advantage of other features provided by SAP, more configuration is needed (like exchanging the certificates), and the wizard will help you go through the tasks.

What exactly functions do you need from the ABAP stack? That will determine what you have to install, since you cannot upgrade from your Java stack anyway.

You could keep your current Portal as the cusomer part of the federal Portal, though upgrading it to NetWeaver 7.0 would be recommended. Or for simple cases, just connect your ABAP to your current Java instance manually (Wizard would NOT work as it should be executed right after installation).

A detailed review might be needed, and it should be kind of consulting work.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

to answer your question :

What exactly functions do you need from the ABAP stack?

Well i want to implement Mobile Infrastructure, for that i have to have both stacks (its one of the pre-requisites shown on the install guide), that is why im looking for install the ABAP stack for have all the JAVA + ABAP server in order to configure and use the MI

Now i'm confuse... what do you mean with

Or for simple cases, just connect your ABAP to your current Java instance manually (Wizard would NOT work as it should be executed right after installation).

This manual connection is through RFC and Jcos only? or through SLD? and also i didnt understand what do you mean with

Wizard would NOT work as it should be executed right after installation

...specially why are you so enfatic with this?...

Regards

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariana,

The extra info is key to answer your initial questions... For MI, ABAP+JAVA is required. And you can only install new one, not upgrade from your current Java Portal.

If you don't need to integrate Portal with MI, (you can manage devices, applications, etc from the NWA of the MI system), very likely you don't need to connect Portal to MI at all.

"for simple cases". Like ESS/MSS, you can install ABAP only for EPR side, then connect it manually to your current Portal. As it is not your case, let's skip the details.

I didn't find "enfatic" in the dictionary... Basically system landscape is critical for successful implementation projects, and mistakes are likely made on day 1 when customers don't fully understand SAP technology and terminology. That is why I might be over cautious.

Good luck for the future installation/configuration!

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

Sorry, I meant "emphatic"... my mistake...

Now, i've been told that MI Components come with the std installation of WebAs, so MI is "within" of my WebAs System. the way I will control all the mobile application is through a webconsole (NOT http//:localhost:50000/nwa , YEAP http://localhost:50000/me) something like NWA but for MI on my WebAs system. With this i'm trying to say that MI System and WebAs system are the same system!!, now if i must have both stacks but im only have one...and you said to me:

For MI, ABAP+JAVA is required. And you can only install new one

, you already answer my initial question: i have to reinstall all WebAs... now you really loose me when you started to talk about business packages...and integration with the portal....etc etc etc. i dont need to integrate anything with portal...what i need is both stacks on my WebAs...so i'll probably take your word and install a "MI System" (another WebAs separated from the one that i've installed and configure MI on that...

Sorry for the errors in my writing...if there is any

KR,

Mariana

Answers (0)