Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Production Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again,

what about big development environments where we use DEV, Q&A and PROD systems with transports etc. I know that with SAP it is really important to keep those systems lined up. SAP backends in big companies of course have different versions and thus it is not so easy to stay consistent when an upgrade comes.

This question is related to security because we decided to use the Java Stack for authentication and maybe later to implement Java Web Dynpro (and why not other java functionalities) but my question was: To stay consistent and be able to deploy correclty and stay in a lined up system, would it be really necessary to install addin java stacks for each systems knowing that there could be a lot of DEV systems with different versions.

Why that question? I have installed two addin java stacks, one of version 6.40 connected with a SAP BASIS Backend 6.40 and another one of version 7.0 with a SAP BASIS Backend 7.00 and I had to use two NWDS different to correctly deploy (in fact I downloaded NWDS CE 7.1 which wasn't understood on Stack 7.0 an thus had to go back to a NWDS 7.0).

In my opinion, this shouldn't be necessary, Java Stack world is for Java and ABAP stack world stays on its side and one Java Stack should be enough for several ABAP stacks depending on the functionalities asked to it. But I was wondering in DEV,Q&A,PROD world if it would be really necessary to have a Java Stack for each step in the queue.

Thanks for your opinion on this,

Kind regards,

Tanguy

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanguy

It would not be recommended to have a single Java Stack for obvious reasons like testing changes etc. The minimum you would want is a Dev/Test + separate Prod.

0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

I agree, at least two Stacks, but my reason of asking is that we were thinking if it was really suggested to have a Java Stack per different version of Basis Backend, and a Java Stack per type in the queue (DEV, Q&A, PROD).

What makes the need of a Java Stack, does it is more the version compatilibity with the SAP Backend or more the separation between different states in the queue?