cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Oracle 10g for R/3 4.5B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

One of the businesses we support is running SAP R/3 4.5B on Oracle 9.2.0.6. The kernel details are:

SAP R/3 Kernel information:

SAP R/3 Kernel 45B

Database version OCI_80500_SHARED

created in SunOS 5.5.1 Generic_103640-19 sun4u

Patch level 972

Is there a path to upgrade the database to 10g with this R/3 release without SAP upgrade?

All information will be useful.

Many Thanks,

Nisch

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

no, there's no such way.

It's explicitely mentioned in note #720886 - Oracle Database 10g: Integration into the SAP that Oracle 10g won't be released for 4.6B or any other system running on a SAP Kernel < 4.6D_EXT

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Lars.

Regards,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nisch,

also, please note the excerpt below taken from note 819655 (please check it for an updated version):

"

Oracle Version

For general information regarding the support of Oracle version 10.2, see Note 720886 .

Even though Oracle 10 will not be generally certified for SAP systems with Releases 3.1I up to 4.6B, it is fully supported to upgrade these systems to Oracle 10.2 prior to the SAP upgrade or prior to the PREPARE phase of the upgrade.

The system can run with this setup for weeks with full support. This procedure was tested in the SAP-internal upgrade validation phase. However, you will encounter limitations in the field of database monitors and you cannot copy such a system to a target system running on Oracle 10g. From a business application perspective, you can use the system without any limitations.

Double Stack systems: When you upgrade the SAP J2EE Engine from NW ´04 to NW2004s, you must apply at least Support Package 12 of the SAP J2EE Engine before the upgrade to Oracle 10.

"

Also, note 868681 confirms the above, i.e..:

"SAP Systems 31I - 45B

The transports included within this note are not relevant for SAP releases 31I - 45B. These systems (31I - 45B) have to be upgraded to Oracle 10.x during preparations for the SAP Upgrade (release 700).

The monitoring transactions such as DB02 may not work correctly in these systems after upgrade to Oracle 10.x. However there is NO IMPACT on any of the business transactions."

Meaning, that if you upgrade your 4.5b system to Oracle 10g outside of a SAP upgrade project, you may find yourself running an unsupported installation.

Regards,

JC

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not sure where do you want to go.

Do you want to know if it is possible to upgrade oracle 9 to oracle 10?

Yes that is possible

Do you want to know if SAP 4.5B will work?

The answer is that it will work, partially.

As mentioned by you, most of the monitoring transactions will not work, so you know it beforehand.

Another, very important situation is that you pass from being in what it is called "Customer Specific Maintenance" to be running a "Non Supported" combination of SAP and Oracle database.

This is only allowed by SAP if you are going to upgrade to a supported version of SAP during a brief period of time (lets say that you do not want to perform the oracle upgrade and the SAP upgrade at the same time, you upgrade the database on one weekend and SAP the next one)

Answers (0)