Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master role and derived role concept

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

1) How to assign the organizational levels for the derived role?

Say for example, I have to create the derived roles with respect to the plant code.And after inheriting the tcodes ,authorizations from the master role , I noticed a pop up page with organizational level tabulation and I assigned the respective plant code there and in the same way for all the following derived roles.But the rest of the rows like company code,sales organization,distribution channel etc which are seen in the tabulation are left empty.I noticed that all the fields which are left empty in the org.levels of the derived roles are been filled up with the vaules of the corresponding master role org.level values when the derived button icon , which is seen under the authorization tab of master role is pressed.So pls let me know the correct procedure to assign.*Do we really need to maintain org.values for master roles?*

2) If a master role is transported to QA or PRD, will the derived role along with it move automatically?

3) Is master and derived role tested parallely in the QA system or first master role is tested ,followed by the derived role?

4) According to my understanding we dont assign any user to the master roles, but why do we move it to PRD?

Greatly appreciate for some body's help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) How to assign the organizational levels for the derived role?

> Say for example, I have to create the derived roles with respect to the plant code.And after inheriting the tcodes ,authorizations from the master role , I noticed a pop up page with organizational level tabulation and I assigned the respective plant code there and in the same way for all the following derived roles.But the rest of the rows like company code,sales organization,distribution channel etc which are seen in the tabulation are left empty.I noticed that all the fields which are left empty in the org.levels of the derived roles are been filled up with the vaules of the corresponding master role org.level values when the derived button icon , which is seen under the authorization tab of master role is pressed.So pls let me know the correct procedure to assign.*Do we really need to maintain org.values for master roles?*

Only if you assign the master roles to users. (and maybe for testing, see 3)

>

> 2) If a master role is transported to QA or PRD, will the derived role along with it move automatically?

Nope, but if one of it's derived roles is transported the master is automatically included in the transport. You'll have to make sure all derived roles are transported yourself.

>

> 3) Is master and derived role tested parallely in the QA system or first master role is tested ,followed by the derived role?

Best order is to do all unit testing wit the master, with all org levels at * and create the derived roles only when the master is tested and corrected to satisfaction. In that way the derived roles only have to be tested for organizational shielding.

>

> 4) According to my understanding we dont assign any user to the master roles, but why do we move it to PRD?

See 2, it goes there automatically. No choice.

Jurjen

5 REPLIES 5

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) How to assign the organizational levels for the derived role?

> Say for example, I have to create the derived roles with respect to the plant code.And after inheriting the tcodes ,authorizations from the master role , I noticed a pop up page with organizational level tabulation and I assigned the respective plant code there and in the same way for all the following derived roles.But the rest of the rows like company code,sales organization,distribution channel etc which are seen in the tabulation are left empty.I noticed that all the fields which are left empty in the org.levels of the derived roles are been filled up with the vaules of the corresponding master role org.level values when the derived button icon , which is seen under the authorization tab of master role is pressed.So pls let me know the correct procedure to assign.*Do we really need to maintain org.values for master roles?*

Only if you assign the master roles to users. (and maybe for testing, see 3)

>

> 2) If a master role is transported to QA or PRD, will the derived role along with it move automatically?

Nope, but if one of it's derived roles is transported the master is automatically included in the transport. You'll have to make sure all derived roles are transported yourself.

>

> 3) Is master and derived role tested parallely in the QA system or first master role is tested ,followed by the derived role?

Best order is to do all unit testing wit the master, with all org levels at * and create the derived roles only when the master is tested and corrected to satisfaction. In that way the derived roles only have to be tested for organizational shielding.

>

> 4) According to my understanding we dont assign any user to the master roles, but why do we move it to PRD?

See 2, it goes there automatically. No choice.

Jurjen

0 Kudos

Hi,Thanks,I really dont understand the concept of how to assign org.values to the derived role and on what purpose we use the derived button icon which is seen only in the master role?

Is assigning users to the master role depends from clients or we are not suppose to assign any users?

what is unit ,integration and user acceptance testing?

0 Kudos

> Hi,Thanks,I really dont understand the concept of how to assign org.values to the derived role and on what purpose we use the derived button icon which is seen only in the master role?

The organizational values for the derived roles are maintained in each derived role. The advantage of this concept is that all other changes need only to be done in the master and are pushed to the derived roles by clicking one button.

> Is assigning users to the master role depends from clients or we are not suppose to assign any users?

This is a matter of taste, no strict rules here.

> what is unit ,integration and user acceptance testing?

I suggest you search google or wikipedia for this one.

0 Kudos

Cool.

My last question with master & derived role....When we are making changes in the Tcode or authorization values we have to edit those in master role and push it to derived role.I understood this but while doing that it even pushes the org.level values of the master role to the derived role when no org.value is maitained in the derived role.This is my confusion so far.

0 Kudos

> ....but while doing that it even pushes the org.level values of the master role to the derived role when no org.value is maitained in the derived role.

That is correct. But this situation will only occur when you add a transaction to the master which brings along an organizational field that wasn't already there. So a red trafficlight in the master after adding a transaction means some extra work in the derived roles as well....