cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with creating customer master when common DC & DIV are maintained

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In IMG, I assigned sales area UKA1 U1 U1.

I am maintaining common distribution channels and divisions in transaction VOR1 & VOR2.

common distribution channel assignment is U1 01 01

common division channel assignment is U1 01 01

I am creating a customer in sales area UKA1 U1 U1 but system is indicating sales area is not defined.

What could be the problem? Please assist? I know that I am making a mistake but can't pinpoint mistake

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have maintained common distribution channel & division.

So, you cannot create customer record in sales area UKA1 U1 U1.

You can create customer record in sales area UKA1 01 01 as reference Dist channel is 01 and reference Division is 01.

In short, you can create master records only in distribution channel or divisions that is being referenced if you are maintaining common distribution channels or divisions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks

Can you explain in detail as to why we should maintain master records in reference DC or DIV?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

You would be using common Distribution Channel & Divisions functionality only for sharing Master data.

If there is no sharing of Master data, then common distribution channel & division is not applicable.

Let's say you have customer records, material master records, pricing records for Distribution channel 01.

Now you defined two more Dist. Channels 10 & 11 who also deal with same products, customers(same as Dist channel 01) and there is no difference in the customers details when they purchase through one or the other.

If you are creating customer, material records for 10 & 11 Dist channel, once again, you would be creating a multiple of 3 views of customer master and material master records.

Imagine time involved for data maintenance let's say change in fax number. You have to go into each master record for this customer and change details everywhere. In case User forgets to update one of the records, then you would have incorrect data.

So, what you would be doing is create customer master records, material master records in one of the distribution channels i.e. 01. Then assign the other distribution channels i.e. 10 & 11 as common distribution channels in transaction VOR1.

In case you have to make some changes to a record, you change only in record maintained in reference Distribution channel 01.

Similar is the case with Divisions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am thinking of this scenario -

Sales team belonging to distribution channel 10 could get an order from a client XYZ.

Right now, he belongs to distribution channel 10 only.

How should we maintain records for this customer?

Since we are maintaining common distribution channel, system would not allow a separate record for him in related sales area.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

As you have common distribution channel, maintain this customer in reference or common distribution channel.

Who knows, other distribution channels could also procure orders from this customer.

Answers (0)