cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clse the thread withut marking it ANSWERED

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, All,

Can any one elaborate, how can we close any thread without marking it as answered. I am asking it because i need to close some threads regarding to the new announcement regarding New Question Limit of 10"

Thanks and regards,

Have happy week end ahead.

-Shyamal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, for starters 10 is a fair amount of questions to have open.

Secondly, there's nothing preventing further answers to a question. When you need to close one, pick one with the oldest 'last response' and add a comment that it's not quite answered (e.g. "Closed - unanswered after 3 months. Further input still welcome"). I've given points to answers that arrived after I closed a question...

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

I am 100% agree with you. As you have said to add comment is the best solution to the correct condition, where I we don't have other alternative. And I had done the same also to close some of my questions but if I will keep-on closing my question (they were about 39) with adding a comment to each, I only will be displayed on that particular page of the forum. And It look bit monotonous (It is my personal opinion). And what happen if only 30% of our members would start doing the same to close their their threads??

That was the doubt born in my little thinking machine so I asked for you all mentors inputs over here. And heartily thanking you all for the same.

Regards,

Shyamal

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually I think seeing someone's old threads all popping up in a forum because they're making an effort to close them shows a good example. It a may even encourage other uses to do the same

Of course, not all questions can be answered. Normally it is considered bad form to just post something to a question only to bump it to the top of the forum (the online slang for these is actually "bump post"), but they are two ways to do this legitimately:

• add more info: describe something new that you have tried or looked at

• (you guessed it) closing an old question that has not been answered is also a perfectly legitimate way to do this - especially if you leave a comment to say that further input is still welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Mike,

Your comments are noted for future. I will do the same way as you suggested of living comments rather I have done the same also.

Thanks for your valuable sharing.It really clean up my thoughts (I thought it would look dull of having my post only as asker on the page), and boosted up me to participate more actively to the forum.

Regards,

Shyamal

Though the question is answered but more valuable inputs are still welcomed for ever.

Regards,

Shyamal

Edited by: Shyamal Joshi on Jul 4, 2008 7:04 PM

Edited by: Shyamal Joshi on Jul 4, 2008 7:05 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

very good question, I am also missing some closing options.

I think there can be a thread with a good and interesting discussion, but not necessarily answering the question.

if you want that discussion not tget lost, you have to mark the thread as answered and close it. but this might be misleading for someone who searches for the question and finds a thread stating it would answer the question....