cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting ST01 trace output cuts column info

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts

I must export RFC trace information from ST01 Trace Analysis to any external format (XLS or XML or RTF...). My problem is: the info in Object column is shorter than that shown on detail screen. For example, in main screen Object column shows only BAPI_MDPROVIDER_. If I double click that line, a detail screen shows a longer text for Object column, whose title becomes "Function Module", with value BAPI_MDPROVIDER_GET_VARIABLES.

I need the full name of the function module available in the detail screen. However, I could not find any way to expand Object column width in main screen.

How can I customize width for Object column on ST01 Trace Analysis to get the full length information? Is there any external tool capable of reading a ST01 trace file?

Thanks.

Fernando

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the trace displayed, try entering the following at the transaction box.

%pc

This will allow you to dump the screen content to a local file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kevin,

Thank you for taking this issue into consideration. However exporting trace data is not the issue.

My problem is that the information shown in Object column is shorter than the real one. I need to expand column width to get full lenght information before exporting data. How to do this?

Thanks.

Fernando

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try TX: STAUTHTRACE. It gives you the trace in a better output.

Cheers

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I really appreciate your suggestions but the problem still persists.

I opened an issue at SAP and support team answered that the standard output from trace analysis on transaction ST01 "is working as designed" and they cannot give me an alternative solution. I requested them to provide the layout of the records written into the trace file in order to decode the information needed, but I was told that it could not be provided.

Well, if SAP is unable to provide a solution then there's nothing else we can do.

Case closed (unfortunately).

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

interesting, but sad, maybe you can try and write your own scripts to 'hunt' for some patterns you observe.

I normally extract patterns from trace file at unix level using awk , grep and sort command combinations.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys. Trace file is available at server for sure but it has some binary data which makes it almost unusable. Besides, it has intermingled data from different trace classes and I am interested just on RFC trace data.

Thanks.

Fernando

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Why don't you download the data from the SAPGUI in some different format and see the results.

Have you tried downloading it in HTML format ?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siddhesh,

Yes, I tried exporting to XML, XLS, RTF, HTML and TXT. All of them output data exactly as shown what means that real information is cut because it does not fit into Object column width.

I hope someone knows how to read raw data from trace file.

Thanks.

Fernando

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Try downloading the TRACE file from the OS and read it in some other editor, Wordpad or SAPPAD

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siddesh,

As stated before I got the trace file from server but it has binary data which makes readability really hard. Besides, it has intermingled data from different trace classes and I am interested just on RFC trace data.

Thanks anyway.

Fernando.

former_member1351727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

ST01 trace will be in /usr/SAP/SID/D*/log ...with the name TRACE.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ST01 will generate a file in your /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/work (or log, I can't remember its on work or log or data, just check that folder) and you will fine the file with file name TRACE (or TRACExx)

So just copy this file and open using notepad.

Regards,

Fendi Suyanto