cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown of R/3, Oracle and Windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Folks and Friends,

at this time we are in a big migration project cause we are moving all of our SAP-systems from UNIX(Tru64, HP-UX) to Windows Server 2003.

Since weeks I'm working on a problem with the windows shutdown sequence.

My problem is following:

Wenn I shutdown the windows machine with running R/3 and Oracle database with startmenu > shutdown > restart then the sap-system will not shutdown properly. OK, SAP says that this way isn't properly. But anyhow. That's the challange.

I tried to write a shutdown script which is stopping R/3 with the stopsap.exe command first, then it will shutdown the database with sqlplus (shutdown immediate). I put this shutdown script in the windows group policies and set up the policy that the shutdown scripts will not be killed after some seconds.

But in the logfiles I saw, that sometimes sqlplus could not connect to the database, due to an ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error. I think, that all windows services receive the shutdown command from the os, BEFORE the shutdown script is running. But this is only sometimes so. Sometimes the shutdown script works perfect.

Now I hope here is someone with the same problem and probably we find a suitable solution for this.

My target is to shutdown SAP and Oracle properly, also when a non SAP-Admin is shutting down the whole server without stopping SAP first.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

Honestly i am not comfortable with simply shutting down windows when SAP is running on it. I would prefer writing a script which 'DOES NOT' allow shutdown of windows if SAP is running enforcing a policy that SAP should be cleanly shutdown before windows is shutdown/restarted.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhesh,

thank you very much for answering.

The problem is, that when a shutdown of the os is initiated, all services react on the shutdown command from the os (Oracle, sapstartsrv, saposcol go down at the SAME time). Afterwards the scripts in the group policy starts.

Maybe there's a chance to set up dependencies to the services, so they are shutting down in correct sequence.

How did other companies solve this problem?

Regards

Andreas

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think the Shutdown scripts work only for Local System Accounts and not for Domain accounts.

Also in group policy where you configure your shutdown scripts, you can also specify additional scripts.

Regards,

Siddhesh