Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic SAP Web AS & ABAP question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to install the new SAP WEB AS 6.4 in order

to get started with the NetWeaver development.

Does SAP Web AS 6.4 already include an ABAP kernel

that allows to develop both in java and in ABAP?

For instance, if I want to call a BAPI in order to create

a Purchase Order within the WebAS, do I need to have

a separate SAP installation connected to the Web AS server

or does it already includes all the necessary components

to do that?

Thanks!

mdias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

the WebAS and Enterprise Portal Sneak Preview versions downloadable from SDN both contain the Java/J2EE stack only. So if you want to call BAPIs you'll have to install a MiniSAP system or connect to an arbitrary R/3 system.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan,

What about in a production system: does WebAS require to be connected to a R3 back end or is it possible that it can handle all operations (including ABAP transactions)?

I have searched for SAP documents regarding WebAS product arquitecture but where not very detailed. Do you know where can I find any docs that explain the WebAS arquitecture in detail?

Thanks again,

mdias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

comprehensive documentation about NetWeaver '04 (and a good starting point for your own information) is available at: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e1/8e51341a06084de10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Or have a look at the sample chapter of "SAP NetWeaver for Dummies" here: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.docs/documents/a1-8-4/sap netweaver for dummies chapter one.pdf

It's quite easy, if you keep the following facts in mind:

1. There will always be (at least) two separate runtime engines available in current and future NetWeaver "implementations" of the NW application platform, which is represented by the WebAS: Java and ABAP.

2. If you want to use ABAP transactions, you'll have to get access to the ABAP layer of the WebAS, directly running ABAP code (on ABAP WebAS) or indirectly using BAPIs or remote function modules (called via RFC by Java WebAS).

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan