cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is a better Platform for SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Please provide suggestions for choosing the platform for our SAP Projects. We want to know the Pros & Cons between Windows & Unix ( HP-UX or IBM-AIX). Is there any standard tool where we can enter the Operating system & Databas and number of users and therefore estimate the cost and performance difference between Unix & Windows Boxes.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please provide suggestions for choosing the platform for our SAP Projects. We want to know the Pros & Cons between Windows & Unix ( HP-UX or IBM-AIX). Is there any standard tool where we can enter the Operating system & Databas and number of users and therefore estimate the cost and performance difference between Unix & Windows Boxes.

You can check the official benchmarks for comparing the operating systems (http://service.sap.com/benchmarks).

Apart from that other non-direct countable factors come into place:

- internal knowledge (a *NIX systems administration is different than Windows, not necessarily more complex but different)

- database choice: each database has its pros and cons, Oracle is the most flexible one, DB2 has some really good features and does things like Oracle RAC does for years (EEE). SQL Server may be very easy to administer so is MaxDB (which is the "cheapest" one in sense of SAP maintenance costs)

- technology - AIX (and Power6) has virtualization by default (LPARs), for Windows you would need to buy additional VMware licenses to virtualize, HP-UX has (depending on the size of the machine) vPars, x64 (AMD/Intel) has also a virtualization ability which you can use with Linux for no additional cost (XEN). Finally Solaris on x64 has containers that can also be used to consolidate systems

If I would do some comparison I would count like

50 % - internal knowledge of operating system and database (and knowledge does not mean "I know how to click")

35 % - software/license costs

15 % - hardware costs

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

How Good is windows in keeping the Total Cost of Operation low? As i read on SAP on Windows book by SAP-PRESS, Is Windows the most used Operating System on SAP? Is it good at meeting the Virusscanning and Hardware Failure requirements? Could you guide me to more thorough analysis in analyzing TCO between IBM-AIX & Windows

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, I can see marketing all over this thread.

Personally, I think Windows + SQL is better. Cheaper. And more reliable and scalable. Some may call me crazy, but I'm running a 5TB database, serving over 90000 employees, close to 1500 concurrent users at a time (not counting batch processes), and the most I have to do these days is sit back, relax, watch the server (non-commodity server by the way, not the expensive superdomes), and plan for the future (storage, memory, CPU).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Is there any standard where i can give my OS, Database & no. of users and estimate costs and benefits over other OS or DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

None that I'm aware of. Have you approached the different O/S and DB vendors and asked for their opinons? Just make sure to stay nutral and go by the facts.