Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile parameter for maximum password length?

Former Member
0 Kudos

A client has requested that we configure the password/logon rules so that all passwords are exactly 8 characters in length.

I am aware of the profile parameter for minimum password length, however I am not aware of any parameter to change the maximum password length from the system default to 8 characters. I am curious if anyone has encountered a similar requirement and how they were able to accomplish. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member

I am only aware that you can limit the minimum length, restrict the password wizard to generate only 8 character long initial passwords, and use 8 character passwords from older systems when logging on to newer ones which require compatability with them. If that is your question, then that is possible.

After that, it is up to the user to use a password of their choice after the minimum requirements are set...

As far as I know, the only way of doing this "afterwards" is to revert back to the old method, but then you loose other cool security features.

Cheers,

Julius

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member

I am only aware that you can limit the minimum length, restrict the password wizard to generate only 8 character long initial passwords, and use 8 character passwords from older systems when logging on to newer ones which require compatability with them. If that is your question, then that is possible.

After that, it is up to the user to use a password of their choice after the minimum requirements are set...

As far as I know, the only way of doing this "afterwards" is to revert back to the old method, but then you loose other cool security features.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Thank you for your reply. Is the customizing switch, GEN_PSW_MAX_LENGTH, only applied to passwords generated with the wizard? I was hoping there was a solution I could apply without having to change the profile parameter for downwards compatibility and lose any of the other new features. It is looking more and more like this is not possible. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Regards,

Teresa Lansberry

0 Kudos

Yes, that is the switch for the wizard in table PRGN_CUST.

You can still use the downward compatability to permit both. (see the docs in RZ11)

You can also force the compatability to the new features for password based integration, if you train your "upward" system admins to set 8 character upper case passwords of length 8 only.

If you are using the "current user" scenario, then you need to train the user.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

This helps. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos

You are welcome.

If I think of or hear of something else, then I will update the thread.

As far as I know, the above are your options.

Cheers,

Julius

PS: Setting password requirements which cannot be fullfilled by the wizard customizing anyway, is not advisable.

0 Kudos

Which option do you use to set the password wizard to generate only 8 characters?