cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Language Inheritance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Do we need to configure the Primary and Secondary language any where in the console?

Let's take an example i have English[US] -

Current language (Data maintaining in the repository in this language)

I have 4 more languages which are English[UK] --- Data Not maintaing

German ---data maintaining

French --- Data Not Maintaining

Russian---data not maintaining

In this scenario do i need to set up anything to take the English[US] -

Primary Inheritance to English[UK]

the same case with German and French .

German -

-

Primary Inheritance to ---French

English[US] Secondary Inheritance to Russian

Please let me know ASAP.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

Language inheritance is set for each language, and is defined by the administrator as the ordering of all the other languages of the repository, split into: (1) primary inheritance (for languages whose values are close enough to the current language to be acceptable for publishing); and (2)

secondary inheritance (for languages whose values are too different from the current language to be acceptable for publishing, but are perhaps useful during data entry and/or translation).

Inheritance of data within MDM client applications is based on the language-specific ordering for the language you choose when you first connect to the repository, inheritance of metadata within the MDM Console is based on the primary language and the repository-specific language ordering defined for each MDM repository .

MDM client applications display: (1) actual values from the

current language; (2) primary inherited values; and (3) secondary inherited values. By contrast, a published catalog (e.g. an electronic Web catalog or a printed catalog) is likely to display only: (4) actual values; and (5) primary inherited values; but (6) hide secondary inherited values, which are displayed in the MDM client applications only for context during data entry and/or to assist in translation.

Consider a repository with three language layers: (1) English [US]; (2) English [UK]; and (3) German [DE]. Both English values are typically the same, so you can set the value for one version of English and allow the other to inherit it. However, you donu2019t want the English languages to inherit German or vice versa.

In the above scenario if we take Language English[US] then its Primary Inheritance will be English [UK] and its seconday Inheritance will be German[DE] , similarly for English[UK] primary Inheritance will be English[US] and secondary Inheritance will be Greman[DE] and now since for German we don`t dont want any primary Inheritance so in that case its Primary Inheritance will be None and its Secondary Inheritance will be both English[US] and English[UK].

Hope this would be helpful..

If helpful do reward Points!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parul,

Language inheritance is set for each language, and is defined by the administrator as the ordering of all the other languages of the repository,

Can you give me the details(Path) how can administrator sets the primary and secondary inheritance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

You can find the level of Inheritance in Console itself.

Follow the below path :

1. Click on Server in Console

2. Select the Repository under the Repositories coming on the right pane.

3. Under the Repository Detail Tab you will find Languages

Under languages field "Language Ordering" is done and then you can define the actual languages there with the Primary language and secondary Language options.

For Eg:

Languages : English [US] English [UK] Spanish [ES]

English [US] : English [UK] Spanish [ES]

English [UK] : English [US] Spanish [ES]

You will be finding the arrangement in the above manner as soon as you will select the Languages.

Now for English [US] again English [UK] is the primary language and Spanish [ES] is the secondary Language.

So in the above manner you can specify or do ordering of the languages.

In case of MDM Client, all the data will be displayed in that Language which you would be selecting while Logging into the Data Manager.

Hope this would solve your Issue.

Regards,

Parul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parul,

Thank you for the answer . I have awarded Full points to you.

Answers (0)