cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD for ABAP: how to insert a "view set" in a window?

Former Member
0 Kudos

In ABAP Sneak Preview 7.0, in WD Component WDT_COMPONENTUSAGE in the window WDT_FLIGHTLIST I can see the "view set" FlightListviewSet.

Anybody knows how to insert a view set in a window?

If I try via context menu to insert an object in the window in a new WD Application I have only the option to embed a view and not a "view set".

Where am I wrong?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sergio,

Due to the bad experience we had with ViewSets in internal projects, the decision was made to remove them from Web Dynpro ABAP. The reasons are as follows:

- ViewSets only offer a very limited set of ways to arrange views

- ViewSets only offer a very limited set of properties for each layout element compared to the LayoutData used internally leading to layouting problems in certain situations that could not overcome by using a ViewSet

- ViewSets are not extensible, which makes it difficult to change an application. There is no way to add another ui element in between or to rearrange the items.

- In order to overcome the last two limitations, ViewSets would have made to be as flexible as layouting in Views without giving much benefit.

- Internally, the core of the runtime accesses functionality it is not supposed to know, which has given us architectural headaches. The core of the runtime is not supposed to create a ui tree with specific view elements. All view elements should be transparent and be handled the same way (but of course this could be overcome by using template views or the like).

- ViewSets use GridLayout, which itself is deprecated (but of course this could have been changed to using MatrixLayout)

Especially the limited control over the layout and the missing extensibility when the time comes to change an application are the strong points that suggest not to use ViewSets at all. The same functionality can be achieved as easily by using a separate view.

Kind regards,

Thomas

SergioFerrari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see. Thanks a lot.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

in the webdynpro explorer, under Windows

ur window name > right click>

in the context menu u can see "create viewset". click that option give the name.

or else in the left side of the diagram view viewset option is there. click that and drop it in the pane.

hope this helps you.

Regards,

Rathna.

SergioFerrari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you speaking about WDA WD for ABAP or WDJ for java?

I'm asking about WDA and there is no "left side of the diagram view viewset"...

In the context menu I can't see "create viewset" but just "embed view".