cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - First Project with SAP Team... Monitoring Solutions/Strategy?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just started my first job out of school two weeks ago. My first project is to work on a "monitoring strategy" for our large SAP enterprise system. We have CRM, SRM, ERP, Sol Man, EDOS, XI, etc... I am supposed to dig into each of these portions of SAP and determine what may need monitored and how to set that up... Does anyone have any ideas of how I should get started? I am new to SAP but have a decent high level understanding of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The first thing about being a newbie (welcome though!) to monitoring questions at SDN is that you need to read the "rules of engagement" first.

These clearly state:

>- Please do not Cross post.

> Post your question in the most appropriate forum; not multiple forums. This is bad netiquette and will might only aggravate potential repliers.

Well, as this NW Admin forum is the most appropriate one and the other 5 which you have cross-posted to are (in my opinion) not, I will not lock this thread here. Most likely your other threads will be deleted or locked by other moderators though.

Please also read the rest of the rules by end of week three... which explain further about what is monitoried in the forums...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was asking in the other forums because I need to know about monitoring for each of those SAP solutions. The best way for me to find out details is to post in those sections more specific to each solution (ERP, SRM, CRM, XI, etc..)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see Joe Haynes answer: Monitoring is most typically a system administrator task.

If you are referring to business process monitoring, or financial transaction monitoring, or security monitoring, etc... then the questions would be different...

Kindly understand that we enforce these rules to keep the answers together (for others who use the search, as well) and the forums in an as-tidy-as-possible shape.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yea, I know I need to do more research on Solution Manager and determine how much we utilize it already. I know one of the first days of my rotation in this position, I was shown the availability monitor CCMSPING. What I need to do is just put together a game plan for a monitoring strategy in general and possibly for each specific solution like ERP, EDOS, CRM, SRM, etc..

Former Member
0 Kudos

In general, your strategy won't be that different across the systems. You'll want to execute monitoring transactions on your production systems very frequently (some places do it several times a day) and on your test-dev boxes periodically (sometimes as little as once a week depending on how busy your systems are).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

A good start, and very useful, would be availability monitoring with CCMSPING. It's very easy to setup and will get you used to important transactions such as RZ20 and RZ21.

Check out http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/38/9e3337d7840ffee10000009b3810a5/content.htm and http://service.sap.com/monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Do you guys have Solution Manager? There are processes within SM that allow you to monitor each system and contain lists of transactions (which can be logged) that can be run to individually check each system.

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes