cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing to remote office / DHCP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I am having trouble finding a way to print to remote locations. There is a closed Intranet from which the remote locations access the SAP backend. In the remote locations we only use custom developed IAC's in the Internet Explorer. No SAPGui is installed on the PC's in the remote locations. The SAP System is running on SAP Netweaver 7.0 and we are using internal ITS. All devices (including printers) in the remote locations use DHCP protocol. How can I define these remote printers in SPAD to spool SAP Forms output to the remote printers? What other solution could there be for this problem? Any input from you would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Harry

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Depending on what operating system your SAP server is on, you can choose access methods S and U for your systems.

Check the following link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c1/d4ea3bb5af9112e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harry,

One possible way is to create a spool on the OS of your SAP CI and then define a printer in SPAD using local access method. Let the OS spool handle the communication to remote printers. If it were me I would also put the printer name and IP in the hosts file and if possible get them to use fixed addresses in DHCP. With regards to SAP Forms output you could also possibly consider printing to email or PDF.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers.

I was hoping not to have to spool to the remote client PC. The output should go directly to the networked printer defined in SPAD. As mentioned in my first post the networked printers use DHCP to obtain their IP address in each location. Is it possible to define the printer in SPAD in this manner (using DHCP). In this environment there is no Unix or Windows server available where the printers could be "named".

Regards

Harry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I can suppose that you can access the printer locally from the user end, also you are using SAP from internet explorer.

May be this can help

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/56/4c4e3c57f40a40e10000000a114084/content.htm

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harry,

What about the SAP Central Instance, you define your printers on the SAP Central instance itself and then provide access method as 'L' for local print queues.

So you print to SAP's own server and the OS takes care of the remote printing for you.

As long as the print queues are defined on Host names, it should be alright.

Regards,

Siddhesh