Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assignment of networks / activities and WBS elements

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi experts,

I have some basic doubts... can any ony clarify these:

1.can a WBS element be assigned to several Projects.

2. can a network be assigned to several WBS elements.

3. can an activity be assigned to several networks

4. can an activity element be assigned to several network activities.

thanking in advance.

regards,

priyanka

Edited by: priyanka on Jun 29, 2008 10:54 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

Please refer these solutions :

1. A WBS element cannot be assigned to only one project and not different projects. However you can create different WBS elements for different projects.

2.Yes, a network can be assigned to different WBS elements but only within a single project.

3. Yes, an activity can be assigned to different networks or subnetworks in a project.

and Iam not getting for the fourth point , what exactly you are trying to ask . . . Please explain . .

I hope these answers will clarify your doubt.

Please reward some points . . . . .

Regards,

Dhruv Kumar Malhotra

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

let us take a scenario..... there are two projects created simultaneously......

a WBS element, say ''engineeering design'' is created in project A, why can't the same WBS element can be used in Project B.

can we extend same logic to network activities as well.

more ideas please.

regards,

priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi priyanka

Can u explain why do u want to create same WBS element for two different projects?

What benefits u r thinking will come out on using same WBS elements in both the projects?

pallavi

Edited by: Pallavi Choudhary on Jun 30, 2008 3:28 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Pallavi,

I am not sure what I am going to do..... but my Project Lead has asked questions like this...

do you have any answer please share.

thank you,

regards,

priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Druv Kumar,

are you sure single Network can be assigned to more than one WBS element at a time.

and single activity can be assigned to more than one Network at a time.

please clarify.

thank you,

reg

priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Druv Kumar,

are you sure single Network can be assigned to more than one WBS element at a time.

and single activity can be assigned to more than one Network at a time.

please clarify.

thank you,

reg

priyanka

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priyanka

You can create a WBS element for project A & you can use(/ extend the same logic) the same WBS element for your project B with appropriate changes with respect to project B.

Amaresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

Yes, Iam sure that a single network can be assigned to more than 1 WBS at a same time.

A WBS can be assigned several activities even different networks also if required, but an activity can be assigned to one WBS element only. Once activities are assigned to WBS elements, you can exchange data between activities and networks. For example activities can inherit statuses from the WBS elements they are assigned to. Conversely you can total up project activity dates to WBS elements or can check funds allotted to activities against WBS.

A single or several networks can be used in the project structure, to map individual aspects of the project such as activities that are linked to each other via relationships. The relationships between two activities define the logical sequence of the activities (predecessor u2013 successor relationship) as well as their time dependencies. Activities of different networks can also be linked to one another. Advantage of network technique is that, system can automatically determine planned dates for each activity and entire network on the basis of duration of individual activities and their chronological sequence.

Priyanka, I hope this may clear your doubt . .

reward points required please . . .

Regards,

Dhruv Kumar Malhotra

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Dhruv Kumar,

that means from your clarification, I can conclude that:

1. a single WBS element can be assigned to more than one project at a time.

2. a single Network can be assigned to more than one WBS at a time.

3. a single activity should be assigned to ''only one'' Network or WBS.

is this correct conclusion.

thanks

reg

priyanka

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Priyanka,

I would advise you to create a Standard WBS element(Template).

This template can be copied for any number of Operative WBS element creation in CJ20N transaction.

Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did not get your point

copying standard templates does not effect assignment.... right

reg

priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Priyanka

1. A WBS can only be assign to only one project

2. If you see the assignment tab of Network, it suggests that a network can be assigned to only one WBS element and can be a subnetwork of other network

3. One activity can only be assigned to one network at a time.

4. An activity element can only be assigned to only one activity.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Asif,

I fully agree with your points of view.....

does anyone out there with different view or any suggestion.

please participate.

regards,

priyanka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi priyanka

U can always create two projects of same nature, same quantum of job, same resources. But whenever u will create these two projects from / or without template the project definition will be different and so as WBS also.

Then it is not possible to use same WBS element in both the projects.

Beside this whenever you will run the reports, may be in project or WBS element view, how can u identify the details showing in report belongs to which project?

tell me if i am wrong..

pallavi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

I think it's not possible as per my view but you tell exactly what you want to do.

Vishal Kr. Sharma.