cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRESS TEST on SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

How can we do a Stress Test on Data base Tables, to find the most accessed Tables etc...

since, few tables related to Billing will be accessed by multiple users

(read / update activity etc...)

at that time SAP will be very slow (when all users doing billing on SAP)

How to find details of TABLES, Like ..the MOST accessed (read/write), BIG (no of records) , tables with missing index's and indexes (primary and secondary) etc...

In short,how to analyse the bottleneck when Performance is very bad?

analysis like ...

I/O wait times, DB usage , Memory usage (by DB and SAP users)

Tables need maintenance etc...

request you to suggest your valuable inputs.

thanking you in all,

by

raghav

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What you really need is to simulate your production traffic in your SAP stress testing environment. This is a very big task, involves a lot of application support and script writers. Here in-house we use LoadRunner. Why do this? Because if you look at ST04, the record there will only be accurate if you can guarantee the business transaction going through the system is production-alike.

For example, if you have a specific project dealing with Finance that's going live, if you do not have a stress environment that simulates production, what you'd end up w/ is a tuning based on strictly Finance, w/ out consideration that maybe Finance is only a small % of your real life traffic.

Once you have a proper stress testing suite setup, give it a run and then check ST04 and DB02 for your table statistics. Use perfmon to monitor paging, CPU, storage I/O, etc.

Lastly, to guage how accurate your stress testing environment is, you can compare the ST04 and DB02 to production. If the top n tables, top growing tables, etc. are about the same, then it's pretty accurate.

As for missing indexes: This can be handled a few different ways. Primary way of handling this is reactive-one-at-a-time mode. Meaning, running ST05 for each slow running program and tuning it. Second way is ST04 > detailed analysis > SAP stats on SPs. Look at the slowest running programs, tune them individually.

For SQL 2005, there are also index / performance statistics. But remember, these tables are cleared whenever SQL engine is cycled. So you may want to run a collector SQL job that collects the stats into a permanant table, and maybe run this collector once every 15 minutes.

Edited by: Kevin Lin on Jul 1, 2008 12:00 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please also have a look at ST10 - Table Call Statistics.

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you running SQL Server 2005? If so there are a few dmvs that you can use to find heavily access tables, missing indexes, existing indexes, and tables needing maintenance (I assume you mean index fragmentation). Let me know and I will try to point you to a few of them. For I/O and usage the SAP transactions listed above are great resources.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please check transaction ST04 and/or DBACOCKPIT.

Markus