Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forums watch options - reply subject of the mails

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi forums managers,

when we opt to watch a forum via email,

we are get the mails with the subject like:

Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: "Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System)"

the above subject is perfectly alright.

The subsequent replies of this message now has the subject like:

Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: "Re: Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System)"

The suggestion is to change the format of the subject of the reply messages.

the part "Re:" should be appended in the beginning of the subject. .. something like:

Re: Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: "Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System)"

This will enable the email programs like outlook or gmail, when grouped by converstion, it will show all the mails of one thread together.

It can improve the readers to see the question and reply, together at one glance.

It would be great, if it can be done that way.

would it be possible to implement this? or any remarks, suggestions are welcome.

thanks,

Ganesh (g22sep).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One solution that may be easier to implement is to have the forum name appended to the end of the subject line instead of the beginning.

so the first message would be:

Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System) (Forum: Exchange Infrastructure)

and subsequent replies would be:

Re: Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System) (Forum: Exchange Infrastructure)

which should group correctly in an email program.

Andrew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean to append a Re: tag for each new reply? If so, what happens to long threads like the one in Cofee Corner?

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was not telling to append Re: tag for each reply.

I was speaking about the location of the Re: tag, that is present in the subjects of reply emails.

It should be at the beginning of the subject instead of somewhere in the middle of the subject.

so the below subject

Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: "Re: Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System)"

should be actually

Re: Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: "Security: MLS between XI IS and IE (ABAP Proxy System)"

martin_nooteboom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you check the messages you will find that the "Re:" is part of the subject of the post. So it only shows the subject of the post, if someone would happen to change the subject completely when replying you will get that new subject there.

Regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess Martin is right.

the "Re:" tag is the part of the subject line when the user replies. and Forum "Exchange Infrastructure" update: gets added by the forum mailer while mailing to the user.

so it may not be easy/wise to edit(move the Re: tag) in the subject by the forum mailer.

I actually got this thought, why the mails sent by yahoogroups or googlegroups didn't have this issue, and the emails can be grouped by conversation in my outlook and in my gmail.

thanks,

Ganesh.