cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing Roles and transport strategy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need to finalize the Role development Plan.

I am not sure where do we built , test and transport roles to production.

I am thinking of developing roles in development in dev in a seperate clint . This clint will be copy of golde client.

Then this roles will be tested in quality and finally send to production.

Hence forth any changed to role will go thourh same cycle.

Please suggest !!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its a traditional method for trasporting roles. If you like make a seperate client for Developing roles.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you have to maintain one particular client in ED! for creating and maintaining roles for all clients and then transport.

Regards,

Parimala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Roles will be created in Development first.you may create roles for different clients its better to maintain all the roles in one client in dev.Then after creating role transport to quality for testing.If everything is ok then transport to production.If any changes have to be made in role.Again modify that role in dev and again transport to qua and pro....

Regards,

Parimala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thankyou very all of you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain

Nothing wrong with having a separate client for security development. As others have pointed out, some usable data and current config is desirable. There are some things which you cannot add into roles if they are not set up (responsibility area heirachies, profit centre groups etc) so you need to ensure that non-transportable config is also made in your security client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>There are some things which you cannot add into roles if they are not set up (responsibility area heirachies, profit centre groups etc) so you need to ensure that non-transportable config is also made in your security client.

Thats a imp point th to my that you have bought to my notice. Are there any coustomizing such no range and stuff that can not be transported?

I wonder if its the case then all coustomizinf will be need to be done in QUA and PRD system seperately as well.

Also one thing i would like to mention is that I am trying to avoid development of roles on Actual devement client cause I am afraid of hamppering the coustoming data which developing roles . Cause most of my development of roles will take place by trial and error method .

So I am aprehensive to use development cline and find alternatives

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussein,

There is always some config which is non-transportable. These are typically referred to as Red Book entries. They are generally applied to Dev, Test and Prod systems manually.

As long as you don't touch config data then there is no problem using the Dev system to build roles and it's unlikely that you will damage config unless you are trying things which should really be done in a sandbox. As some config is also cross client then you would have the same result in a different security specific client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are this configuration (that cannot be transported or not copied during client copy) Importrant for developing and testing roles ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends what it is. Personally I would not want to do any meaningful testing in a system without adequate data or config. 90% of the time it will be OK, but the other 10% you could have problems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi you are right,

role will be created in developemnt/customizing client.No need to create seperate client.Because some times you need to test in devlopment and all your customization will not be in this client, so you have to again transport the role to dev client.

So you better create role in customizing client

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

>role will be created in developemnt/customizing client.No need to create seperate client.Because some times you need to test in devlopment and all your customization will not be in this client, so you have to again transport the role to dev client.

>So you better create role in customizing client

If I start developing Roles in Coustomizing clients then it can hamper the data since it most of authorization will be required to be tested there it self.

So I am not using a blank client for creating role. I am making a copy of coustomizing client in Dev sys. I dont need to transport it to coustomizing client to test.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

That is fine hussain.But make sure if all transports including customizations are transportd to your dev client also.

Otherwise even security people need to check if authorizations work before making transport in quality.

Because in soem companies you need approvals for transport in Quality even

You will never test fully in dev for that you ahve to user quality as data is present in it.

Your way is also right, But i told you an option to make it work better

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hussain,

All the roles should be created in development/customizing client as rightly said by Trupti.

It depends if there is a requirement of unit testing in DEV by developers then you need to have separate client for testing and later roles are transported to Staging and with thorough testing/approval roles can be finally transported to production.

Thanks and Good Day

Santosh Kumar