cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a couple of doubts

1)Can the file adapter use protocols other than FTP..like for instance RCP (Remote File Copy)? This is because RCP doesnt need username/password but depends on kerberos authentication.

We want to avoid permanent username/passwords that need to be configured for file adapeter or flexibility of other protocols.

From man pages for RCP.

"Rcp does not prompt for passwords; it uses Kerberos authentication when connecting to rhost. Each user may have a private authorization list in a file .k5login in his login directory. Each line in this file should contain a Kerberos principal name of the form principal/instance@realm. If there is a ~/.k5login file, then access is granted to the account if and only if the originater user is authenticated to one of the principals named in the ~/.k5login file. Otherwise, the originating user will be granted access to the account if and only if the authenticated principal name of the user can be mapped to the local account name using the aname -> lname mapping rules "

2)We have many file adapters configured. As per security guidelines the passwords have to be reset every 45 days.

Is there any location where we have the flexibility to configure a common userid password for all the file adapters instead of only seperate configuration for every instance of the adapter/communication channel?

Points assured if soltuion provided.

Thanks & regards,

Shaji

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shaji,

>>>1)Can the file adapter use protocols other than FTP

1. yes you don't have to use FTP you can use File System (NFS)

you can put your files directly on your XI server folder

or on some other folders and map those folders so that thay will be accessible from the XI

this way you won't have to use username/pass

2. what kind of files are you using ?

if XML files than you can create a java proxy

which will take files from anywhere FTP,RCP etc.

and then you can store the passwords anywhere you want,

even in some configuration file if you "want"

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

mostly text files.

if java proxy then where will be this proxy be written in XI or the remote system. I would assume the remote system since it has to access files in that system.

if that be the case then wont i need a j2ee server in that system?

regards,

Shaji

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>if java proxy then where will be this proxy be written in XI or the remote system.

on the XI

but you can use RPC or any protocol you wish in this java proxy cause this is just a java program that calls

one method which sends data to the xi's integration engine

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Maybe I havent framed the issue properly.

We have some 100 communication channels of type file adapter that are to talk to some 20-25 systems. Due to security policies the passwords for all these systems change every 45 days.

Instead of going to each communication channel and changing the password is there any other common location where we could change these.or any other better or easier way.

regards,

Shaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaji,

as to my knowledge there is no such possibility within standard. However i think you could create an own adapter module, which could read a common user and password from a custom table on the java stack or from a properties file and put this module into each file adapter you're going to use.

I'm not sure, if this will work, as i haven't checked the Java API for all necessary methods, but i think it's worth a try.

Best regards

Christine