SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any technical Differences between stanard R3 and ISU

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have recently been speaking to a client who is running ISU. They are asking for assistance with thier landscape from a technical perspective (BASIS and DB). i.e. monitoring db growth, reorgs, etc.

Now, I have been working in BASIS for over 10 years now, and am very comfortable with the above rols. My question however is - are there any "technical" differences between the standard SAP system, and ISU? or are the differences mainly seen on the functional side?

Thank you very much for any insight any of you can provide.

Kind regards

Richard Rog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are specifics, depending on a company size, business complexity, customer database volume, market deregulation, number of external systems to communicate.

1. Large data volume. Certain tables can be really big - readings, load profiles, biling documents, accounting documents, some others. So their growth should be closely watched. They should be kept operational for a rather long time. Later on archived - never deleted.

2. Extensive use of background batch (mass) processing for reading, billing, printing, dunning, etc. There are specific programs for parallel processing. Usually these programs are run overnight.

3. Certain interfaces with external systems to monitor. To name a few: external printing system, energy market partners, meter reading systems, general ledger, business warehouse, CRM.

4. Certain middleware. For example, of SAP CRM.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are specifics, depending on a company size, business complexity, customer database volume, market deregulation, number of external systems to communicate.

1. Large data volume. Certain tables can be really big - readings, load profiles, biling documents, accounting documents, some others. So their growth should be closely watched. They should be kept operational for a rather long time. Later on archived - never deleted.

2. Extensive use of background batch (mass) processing for reading, billing, printing, dunning, etc. There are specific programs for parallel processing. Usually these programs are run overnight.

3. Certain interfaces with external systems to monitor. To name a few: external printing system, energy market partners, meter reading systems, general ledger, business warehouse, CRM.

4. Certain middleware. For example, of SAP CRM.

0 Kudos

Hi Juris,

Thank you for that info... However, aside from 1. the load, 2 tons of background jobs, and 3. knowing other external systems that are connected, would you know if there are any differences in terms of how the basis team would monitor or take care of the system?

For example, monitoring the loads, everything should still be the same right? (sm50, sm02, sm06, etc?)

Or are there a lot of new transactions, and ways of monitoring this?

I'm just trying to find out, if its still a plain basis system for us... and other than loads, etc, are all basis tasks the same? or is it different from other R3 systems.

Thank you again for all your help Juris...

Richard

0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

I have been a Basis administrator for IS-U/CCS systems for 7 years. The points Juris made are correct.

There are no new transactions or procedures for maintaining and monitoring an ISU system. ISU "sits" on top of R/3. The main ISU transaction for customer contact CIC0 has an HTML component that needs an ITS server. In a 4.6C system you will need to maintain an external ITS. In ECC 6.0 you will have an integrated ITS. The main difference from a Basis perspective is support pack application.

In 4.6C ISU is an add-in installed in SAINT. There are conflict resolution support packages (CRT's) that are installed at the same time the SAP_APPL support packages are applied. In fact SPAM recognizes the ISU add-in and won't let you upgrade APPL (and sometimes Basis) support packs without the CRT's.

In ECC 6.0 IS-U isn't an add-in any more and has it's own support packs in module IS-UT. IS-U must be turned on though during an installation or upgrade. This is done in SPRO with "Activate Business Funcitons".

Dustin

Edited by: Dustin Justet on Jun 27, 2008 10:47 AM

Edited by: Dustin Justet on Jun 27, 2008 10:51 AM

0 Kudos

Both Juris and Destin have thrown a very good quality info. This should be enough. The imp thing one has to bear in mind is the large volume of data that is created in ISU via batch/mass runs.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Rajendra

0 Kudos

Well, additionally you might add, that IS-U has several tranactions to monitor background activity e.g. upload of meter readings, transaction ELDM, EL32 and an own MASS activity log (BPEM) on it's own. And - in a deregulated market there is a huge dataload expected for IDOC communication: up to 200.000 IDOCs a day just for sharing meter reading information ...

For sizing there is a special IS-U quicksizer available at the marketplace and a note which mentions very fast growing tables.

KR

Uwe

0 Kudos

Hi everyone... wow, thank you so much.. I was not expecting this much info... but this is incredible!

I appriciate this so much guys... thanks again...

Kind regards

Richard Rog