cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing different service packs into one server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was just wondering is there any way in which i can incorporate different service packs into one server?Any clue with regards to this is appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

not sure what you are asking.

are you asking if you can have different SP on two different SAP instances on the same server? (answer is yes).

Or are you saying different SP (same component) on same SAP instance? (answer is no).

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If you are taling about having different SP levels for different ssoftware components within a stack then this is not recommended at all (and not supported, especially in Java).

Can you please clarify your question so that we can give you a more accurate response?

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David thanks for your reply,

Ok i will explain.I have this several versions of service packs say from SP 1 to SP 8 for example,which are in .ear format.Now when i install a product version SP4 in my server and then when i want to install the advanced version of the same product say SP 5 then it over writes my previous version and gets saved with the same name.I think the problem is because it gets saved with the same name,so it is either someting to do with the .ear file format or if i dont know i can do anything from the server side.

I hope the issue is now clear as each time deploying the service packs creates lots of problem.

Hope you have some clue about it.

Best

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

So the bottom line is that i need to retain the previous installed Sp's as well and would like to deploy as much SP's as my server can.Hope there must be some way out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The basic concept of applying SPs in Java is to add the new functionality and remove the gaps which were in previous releases. And always when we are using the Java instance the current SP is recognised. Before the deployment of a software component, the SDM server performs additional version checks. Only new software components that have a higher counter than the counter of the old software components can be deployed.

When we apply the SP in Java, following things are checked:

The vendors and the names of the SCAs are the same as the ones of the software components that are installed on the system.

The releases of the SCAs are the same as the ones of the software components that are installed on the system. JSPM allows updates only within one release.

The support package levels of the SCAs are higher than or equal to the ones of the software components that are installed on the system.

If the support package levels of the SCAs are equal to the ones of the software components that are installed on the system, the patch levels of the SCAs are higher.

Checks for modified software components

If the provider of an SCA is different from the original provider, SAP AG, of the software component that is installed on the system, this SCA has been modified using the NWDI.

Checks on foreign software components

The JSPM checks if, after the deployment of a software component, the dependencies on other software components are fulfilled.

Please check this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/1f/c45b4211aac353e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your message it was indeed educating.But my question still remains unanswered.Is there a way by which i can retain my older versions of SP's and deploy newer versions as well.The work scenerio i am dealing with is such that i need the diiferent SP's any time and its difficult to deploy each one every time.Can i retain the older versions even after deploying the newer ones???If i need to change the code in some part or need more research then please let me know.

Best,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you be a more literal and just post the component in discussion? e.g.:

SAP-JEE 7.00 SP14 (1000.7.00.14.0.20071210172039)

And which version you are going up to?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am referring to the SAP GRC components.Say i have different support packs for Access Enforcer 5.2.Now i have SP7 and if i wish to upgrade to SP8 it over writes on my SP7 version.So is there a way to retain more than one support packs of the same version on my server??This is a pure RND task i am undertaking any tip or idea will be a great help.

Thanks and waiting for a reply.

Best,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you can, especially w/ the AS-JAVA portion of GRC. However, remember now, the RTA (ABAP) side of the problem isn't so simple, matter of fact .. you can have only 1 support pack level in ABAP and you can't roll back. But, if you are not using RAR or other GRC component that requires the ABAP RTAs, then you won't have to worry about ABAP. In this case, you can roll back to any AS-JAVA GRC Support Pack level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.Can you please elaborate on this if you have any idea.Say for example i want to have more then one service pack of Access enforcer on my system,How do i do it?

Best,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

My problem is still not solved.I am involved in a kind of job which requires me to switch over different SPs frequently(SPs for SAP GRC Access Enforcer).I have limited number of servers and wanted to know wheather i could do something and get more than one SP in my server as deploying a SP everytime is really cumbersome.

Please share all the knowledge you have on this.

Thanks in advance,

Vinit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You already had several times the answer :

In one single SAP GRC system (not server) you can have one single SP level.

If you need different SP level on the same server, you need to install several SAP GRC systems on the same server.

Regards,

Olivier