cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver MDM - Project and Bachelor Thesis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a German student of business information systems. I will write my project and bachelor thesis about u201Chow to synchronize and interchange the master data of an existing non-sap portal, with an existing sap erp systemu201D.

Therefore I would like to use the SAP NetWeaver Platform with SAP NetWeaver MDM. The thesis shall consist of two parts. First, the project thesis shall contain the requirements analysis and the specification. The bachelor thesis shall contain the implementation of these systems.

But there is one big problem. Is there any possibility to get SAP NetWeaver for educational propose, e.g. for free or for a free trial? At the download area of the sdn webpage, I found an SAP NetWeaver 7.0 u2013 Java Trial Version. Does this NetWeaver-Version include the Master Data Management Component? Does I need any other SAP-Systems to exchange the Master Data between these two Systems?

Thanks a lot,

Christian

Edited by: Christian Beining on Jun 26, 2008 6:28 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

you can not download MDM from SDN but there is a trial version available for SAP customers (I think for a 3 month trial period). If you have access to a SAP ERP system in your company it should be no problem for them to get the trial version. As far as I know MDM isn't included in the NetWeaver trial versions.

MDM works with a port concept, that means MDM imports and exports data from specific file paths on the mdm server. So if you want to transfer data from/to other systems then you might need additional software like SAP PI (former known as XI) which can map and distribute this data to other systems, especially when you have to connect to a SAP ERP system.

Hope that helps. Regards, bd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello bd,

if I got you right, then I can get a trial version of SAP NetWeaver, SAP MDM and SAP XI, if I have an existing SAP ERP System in my company. We are using SAP ERP at the university. If there any posibility to get the trial versions for educational purpose?

Thanks for help

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

you can get a trial version of MDM as a SAP customer (in Germany via your SAP software distributor). If you have only access to a SAP university system I don't think you will get access to MDM and XI (at least they don't have it at my university). But of course you can ask your professor or SAP representative maybe they can help you. As far as I know all SAP university systems in Germany are hosted centrally in Munich and I don't think that they also provide such special solutions like MDM.

Doing a similar job in my thesis I can only recommend you to do this project only then if you have definitely access to all needed systems and having some people around with knowledge in additonal needed tools like XI or administration of SAP systems. Doing it all at your own without having SAP knowledge in the important points (system and database administration, software deployment, XI) is not realistic in a 5 month period when you have to build a SAP system landscape on your own in top of your project.

Hope that helps. BR, bd