Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion: External Customer/Vendor Number Based on UID

0 Kudos

Fellow Security Gurus,

I would like to open this discussion up for additional ideas for the following. My current client has custom development underway that will require that external vendor/customer numbers be retrieved by the custom code when these users access our portal (Enterprise Portal). The reasoning: When a customer or vendor access the portal, the portal will (via the custom code) derive their customer/vendor number from the backend; ECC system. Based on the customer/vendor number returned to the portal, the content for that user (customer/vendor) will be displayed accordingly.

One of the approaches to solve this was to utilize an attribute on the user master record to house the customer/vendor number. The custom development could then read that attribute and retrieve the customer/vendor number. One of the downsides to this approach is that which ever attribute I choose was not intended for that use. Therefore that attribute will no longer be available for its true intent.

I wanted to open this topic for additional ideas. Any insight is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear guru

FYI (for your ideas): There was a similar discussion about using UIDs and security for vendor records which I remember from a long while back.

You can find it here:

Cheers,

Julius