cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get back memory after deleting Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I work on SAP BI. In BI, we install Business Content inorder to extract data from different Datasources. Once we install that, there's a good amount of memory getting consumed on U'r hard drive. Since, I was running short of memory, I wanted to get back the memory which I lost after business content installation. So, I tried deleting all the Objects which were installed during Business Content Installation, but for my surprise, I was losing some more memory, instead of getting the one I lost.

Can anyone help me out to get my memory back. Can U guide me where in the Hard Drive (exact location) do this memory gets consumed & how to free it.

Thanks & Regards,

Syed Ali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP BI has standard archiving for both DSO and PSA objects. Depending on your retention requirements, you can run archiving on these objects to regain some DB space. However, please note that some databases pre-allocate disk space for DBs, this means that if you really want the disk space back you will need to shrink the data files (but make sure they are even, to prevent any hot spots)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I work on SAP BI. In BI, we install Business Content inorder to extract data from different Datasources. Once we install that, there's a good amount of memory getting consumed on U'r hard drive. Since, I was running short of memory, I wanted to get back the memory which I lost after business content installation. So, I tried deleting all the Objects which were installed during Business Content Installation, but for my surprise, I was losing some more memory, instead of getting the one I lost.

The term "memory" is used when talking about the memory in the server (RAM), not on the harddisk.

Of course, if you install an AddIn (such as BI_CONT), it will be stored in the database and this will consume space.

How did you "delete"?

Can anyone help me out to get my memory back. Can U guide me where in the Hard Drive (exact location) do this memory gets consumed & how to free it.

Not sure what you´re asking here. A BI system will grow over time if you load data so that´s a totally normal behaviour.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Marcus,

As U said, once U install the BI Content as Add on, then it is stored in Database, which in turn uses some memory. If that's the case, can U tell me where in Hard Drive ( folder ) is that memory consumed?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As U said, once U install the BI Content as Add on, then it is stored in Database, which in turn uses some memory. If that's the case, can U tell me where in Hard Drive ( folder ) is that memory consumed?

It´s in your database files.

I think you have a conceptual misunderstanding. An ABAP system stores everything in the database, there are not files on the harddisk you can "just delete" and get the space back.

Markus