cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! everyboby

Can anyone tell me how to create a template project ?

I am having problem when I try to save it. I do not know what type of package I heve to type.

Thank you very much

Xiomara

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xiomara,

As regards approaches to Template Project, there are primarily two:

(1) Create a Template Project with a view to share project structure and content to Rollouts or other Implementation Projects planned to be carried out from various other SolMan instances in those respective countries or business units

(2) Create a Template Project to share the structure and contents with other projects that are to be based out of the same SolMan instance

If yours is of type (2) - which most people tend to have - you dont have to worry about Packages/ Transports etc. and save the Project as Local Object.

It's an 'irreversible' decision and therefore, it's better to check with all senior members of the project team.

If you go ahead with (2) and at some very late stage, you realise that there is a subsidiary in Asia or South America who are keen to use your Project structure and knowledge, but based out of their 'own' Solution Manager instance, you'll have a few possibilities, including:

- Client Copy to start with, as a one time 'gift'

- Transport the whole Template Project as a one time gift !

Basically, type (1) is to be used mainly where a clear requirement exists - a central team is convened somewhere (e.g. Europe) representing all geographies, and would like to be the only team that keeps preparing 80% of Global Scenarios, Processes and Content and dish them out to local subsidiaries who can then 'adopt' such incremental templates in their respective SolMan instances.

Or, SAP Partner firms may opt for type (1) to create some pioneering work/content at their premises in their own SolMan and periodically 'release' such value added content to the client(s) concerned.

If you can assess your own context and make up your mind to not opt for (1) you can conveniently ignore the 'package' business and save your Template Project and all its subsequent contents in SOLAR01/02 etc. to 'Local Object' - not transportable.

Please also read SAP Note 603336 for more information on limitations of these two types of approach.

Feel free to ask for any more info; this is a favourite topic of mine and time permitting, would like to answer as much as I can !

Best regards,

Srini

-