Did you mean: 

ABAP Web Service with XI and SOAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!

What we are trying to implement is the following szenario:

SAP ERP HCM

SAP XI (Netweaver 2004s)

Our customers shall call a Web Service on the HCM system over the XI system transmitting 2 parameters (IDs) and get back a xml document with a list of hr related information.

This is how we started (or want to go on) with the outside-in method:

1. set up data types and message interface in XI integration repository

2. generate a proxy in HCM with the transaction SPROXY and implement the service

3. set up a communication scenario in XI integration directory using the SOAP adapter

But there are some questions left:

- how many message interfaces must be set up for the described scenario?

- is the SOAP-adapter the correct adapter for that scenario?

- how do we send back the xml information list?

- is synchronous communication correct?

- how can we test that scenario?

We are new to XI and SOA so we'd appreciate any help. thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

see above

Former Member
0 Kudos

how many message interfaces must be set up for the described scenario?

> You would need one outbound sync message and one inbound sync message

is the SOAP-adapter the correct adapter for that scenario?

> You can either use SOAP adapter or if the system can make a HTTP call, that could also be a route that you can take.

how do we send back the xml information list?

> Since SOAP or HTTP are synchronous calls, you can send the XML information back as a response.

is synchronous communication correct?

> Synchronous communication should work fine as long as the response time from the HCM program is quick.

how can we test that scenario?

> you can either test it from the runtime workbench or download some HTTP/SOAP client to rest it end to end.

Thanks

Praveen M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your help!

We now created 2 synchronous interfaces (inbound & outbound). Then I generated a proxy for the inbound interface using the transaction SPROXY and did the implemention.

with transaction SOAMANAGER I created an endpoint for that service. but clicking the links "open wsdl document for the chosen binding" does not work. (saying my configuration is not active... where do I activate it?)

The link "open web service navigator for chosen binding" also does not work. (J2EE Host or Port not specified - which J2EE/port host is meant and does this need to be configured necesserily)

Furthermore I want to set up the scenario for a test in the xi integration directory. My intention was to add the SAP HCM as business system to my scenario and create a communication channel as receiver (SOAP Adapter). But though I looked at the links above I still don't know how to find out the url of my implemented proxy web service.

Edited by: Stefan Tanck on Jun 27, 2008 3:30 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

the problem was that the service name in the configuration of transaction SOAMANAGER did not have the same name as the generated web service. now my endpoint is active and I can open the wsdl document for the chosen binding and see the url in the <soap:address>-tag of the wsdl.

Former Member
0 Kudos
  • how many message interfaces must be set up for the described scenario?

You would need two message interfaces. One for the outbound for the sender and one for the inbound for the receiver. There should be request and response message types for each message interface since this is a synchronous scenario.

• is the SOAP-adapter the correct adapter for that scenario?

SOAP adapter is correct for the web service scenario

• how do we send back the xml information list?

You will need to design the XML information list in the Integration Repository on the message interface.

• how can we test that scenario?

You can use third party Soap UI Client such as SOAP UI Client or XML Spy to try calling the webservice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for your quick response!

using the SOAP adapter I have to specify an target url in XI. how do I get to know that url?

I'm a bit confused about using the SOAP/XI adapter because I read in one sdn blog: "XI uses XI adapter to communicate to SAP System when the SAP system is implementing proxies."

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can find out more from the How to guide.. for Soap Adapter..

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d23cbe11-0d01-0010-5287-873a2202...

When XI talks to SAP system via proxy, it is using the XI adapter.