cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM workflow - dynamic approver determination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

in MDM workflow, i see that in the visio workflow definition of the approval step, it is possible to set approvers. This sound to me like a static approval definition.

Let say that according to some field value I want to determine different approvers, meaning if Product category is 1 approver is X, if Product category is 2 approver is Y, etc..

Is this possible to achieve?

How?

thank you in advance,

Regards,

Marco

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco,

You can use Branch step in WF. What this does is that you can assign validation to this branch. In this validation write the logic - if then else scripts.

Based on number of approvers assign different connectors to the branch outgoing connector. Hence you can have different approvers based on this.

The only point is you need to have a field or an indicator in MDM which will store the validation results on the basis of which Branching happens.

Regards,

Dev.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Dev,

but once the branch step identifes say approver X how does workflow assign the approval step to approver X?? where do i pass this information to the workflow?

marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco,

I am assuming you have 3 approvers X, Y and Z. Create 3 validations for all 3 cases:

Validation A: Category =1 => goes to approver X

Validation B: Category =2 => goes to approver Y

Validation C: Category =3 => goes to approver Z

Start -> Branch (Add validation A) -> Form 2 processes (1 which is TRUE goes to Approver X and for false it is either Y or Z)

-> (TRUE) -> Approver (Assign X)

-> (FALSE) -> Branch (Add Validation B) -> Form 2 processes (1 which is TRUE goes to Approver Y and for false it is Z)

-> (TRUE) -> Approver (Assign Y)

-> (FALSE) -> Approver (Assign Z if this the default approver else add one more iteration)

I hope this should work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco

this is correct. We cannot have dynamic assignment of Approvers in workflow.Solution proposed by using branching is not possible as you cannot have Approve step just after Branching. Only few steps like Process is allowed. In approve step you can assign either role or User and only control provided is in form of execution like all Concurrent/sequential or any single.

Lets hear from anyone if this is possible.

Hope this helped. Award if useful.

regard

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes this is a limitation.

1. You can either set a Role in which case task would be routed to all Users assigned to that Role or

2. You can assign a specific User

In both cases it becomes static. This is because, the Roles & Users are referenced by workflow which are stored in Console-Admin section.

If you want to get some kind of dynamism then you can create a similar table structure of Roles and Users in Data Manager by creating 2 new tables. You would then need to use Assignments to dynamicaly change the fields values (these field will set the users) and call these assignments.

But it would be a long process involving redundant data.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Ketan

Plz award pts if reply was helpful.