cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Listner doubt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

There was a minor doubt which i wanted to clarify.

When we ececute the command "shutdown immediate" or "shoutdown normal" to stop oracle

Eecution of these commands stop the Oracle Listner Process or not ?

Regards

Aayush

Edited by: Ayush Johri on Jun 25, 2008 2:26 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Shutdown normal : when you select to stop database in normal mode it will check

1. if any users are connected or not

2. any critical proces is running or not

If any user are connected or any critical process is running then it wonu2019t stop the database it will wait untill all the user logout and all the process stop running

Shutdown immediate

it wont check the user are connect or not but it will check if any critical process is running or not such as Backup or Recovery

Shutdown immediate force

It wonu2019t check if any Critical process is running or any user is connected or not it will shutdown the databse.

the above command does not stop oracle listner.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kaushal and Juan, You exactly answered what i was looking for,

1. Apart from this lets say at the time of increasing SGA memory area (shared_pool_area), do i have to stop the listner process, or i can inrease the SGA memory without stopping the listner process.

2. Do i have to stop the oracle instance through "shutdown immediate" first and then increase the SGA memory and after increasing execute "startup" (am i right in my sequence here)

3. Or do i have to stop Both oracle instance (through shutdown) and listner process ( i am little confused here)

Your suggestions would be highly valuable

Regards

Ayush

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Apart from this lets say at the time of increasing SGA memory area (shared_pool_area), do i have to stop the listner process, or i can inrease the SGA memory without stopping the listner process.

You can change the parameter without stopping the listener.

2. Do i have to stop the oracle instance through "shutdown immediate" first and then increase the SGA memory and after increasing execute "startup" (am i right in my sequence here)

You can make the parameter change first and then stop and start your DB when you find a suitable time. changes to the spfile will not take effect until the db is restarted.

3. Or do i have to stop Both oracle instance (through shutdown) and listner process ( i am little confused here)

As above

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to change SGA then proceed as following

-logon as <sid>adm

-sqlplus / as sysdba

- alter system set shared_pool_size <value> scope=spfile;

- shutdown immediate

- startup

if it is not work then edit the init<SID>.ora file, add

shared_pool_size=<value>

and restart your database

( no need to stop listner process )

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan and Kaushal for your helpful suggestions.

You guys are truely remarkable and would look upto your guidance as in when i falter.

Regards

Aayush

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The answer to your question is No.

Oracle listener need to be started and stoped individually as is a separate service.

Regards

Juan

former_member227600
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you working on windows operating system or unix operating system.In unix O.S. we execute the command lsnrctl start to start the lintner Or lsnrctl stop to stop the listnet.

You can check status of listner using lsnrctl status command.

Karan