cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create variant in Webdynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have created a WebDynpro report (WD Application). I have around 10 input fields on my first view.

My second view will display an ALV report.

Now I want to create variant for my selection screen( on my first view) so that the user will not need to always give

values to all the 10 input fields. Please let me know if you have any solution for this.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

I have a simple solution.... u can try this.. May be this is not a way to create a variant, but an alternate, to solve the problem.

steps :

1) create a drop down with list of values ex : variant1,variant2,variant3.......

2) based on the selected value ( ex : variant1)  in drop down , implement the logic in wddomodify( ) / in

its corresponding method action to initialize input fields

hope this will help

ChandraMahajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can set the default value by right click on inputfield and then selecting option use current value as Default. but this is done at individual user level and not application level.

More useful for WDA developrs

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also have similar requirement.

can you please let me know how you solved it?

Is it possible or not?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I also have similar requirement.

>

> can you please let me know how you solved it?

> Is it possible or not?

The offically recommendation as of NetWeaver 7.02 if you want variant like functionality with Select-Options is to use Floorplan Manager and the Query Generic UI Building Block. This GUIBB has saved search functionality built into it.

kmoore007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Thomas,

Can you point me to a tutorial on this?  I have developed a WD app. with some params/select-options and an ALV component.  But I would like to have the save variant functionality.

Thanks,

Kenneth

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

We don't have variants in Web Dynpro like in traditional dynpro. However there is a new and similar concept called Application Customization:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/83/61a042f036c46ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/83/61a042f036c46ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm]

For what you describe, it will allow you to acomplish the same thing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Program Variants, and ALV display variants are proabably two of the most useable features that SAP has ever developed. It frees developers from mundane requests to provide customizations across user groups, and allows business users to develop and share common report settings for varied needs (all without a lick of code or developer involvement).

There are a couple of blogs on how programmers have built variant like functionality into WDC's (obviously possible). It is very disheartening (coming from a veteran ABAPer) that this core useability feature was left out -- leaving it to programmers to jump through hoops to meet realistic customer demands for something they have always had. This is really crazy when considering user specific ALV display variants can be saved -- but not shared as Global variants.

Please tell me I am missing some setting somewhere.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Please tell me I am missing some setting somewhere

No, your statements are accurate and increasingly a request that I hear from customers. I pass on this request to the people who do the portfolio planning. Also the ASUG UI Influence Council has recently taken up this topic as well. It would also be helpful if you add your voice to the sticky thread on this forum asking for enhancement suggestions. All these things help add weight to a feature request.

Some thoughts from the SAP side - We do have personalization and configuration - some tasks that were done iwth variants could be acomplished with these new techniques. Also variant were originally designed for background processing. Since Web Dynpro ABAP can't be ran in the background anyway, that use case is out.

Personally I would like to see variants at least built into the Select-Options reusable component. It seems like a nice ballance between the requirements.

>This is really crazy when considering user specific ALV display variants can be saved -- but not shared as Global variants.

You can create global layouts for the ALV by logging on in Admin mode. Are you just saying you would like to be able to "promote" user specific layouts to global ones?

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Personally I would like to see variants at least built into the Select-Options reusable component. It seems like a nice ballance between the requirements."

Yes, I agree that it belongs with the select-options component (or a separate component altogehter). It would be nice if there were a wizard for select-options (reading them), since we went from one 4GL statement to create/read S_BUKRS to something like 20 3GL statements to define / read a select-option (just saying)

"You can create global layouts for the ALV by logging on in Admin mode. Are you just saying you would like to be able to "promote" user specific layouts to global ones?""

1. Yes I am talking about a user saving a global variant. If I had a nickel for everytime a user had a problem (performance or othwise), and I asked them to "save a variant" so I could look at exactly what they were doing, I would be....

2. What do you mean by login to Admin mode? Just starting the Webdynpro stuff, so still exploring.

Thanks,

- Tim

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

2. What do you mean by login to Admin mode? Just starting the Webdynpro stuff, so still exploring.

If you are launching the application from SE80, pull up the WD Application and from the top menu choose Web Dynpro Application-> Test -> In Browser, Admin Mode.

You can also add the URL parameter sap-config-mode=X. Either way this will put in you admin mode and allow you create global views for the ALV.

Also consider the WD_ANALYZE_CONFIG_* web dynpro applications. These applications let you view, delete, and transport different types of personalization/configuration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have same requirement , I am able to config ALV . While saving I have saved it in a new transport which i dont see in se10 ? Is there any other step?

ronaldo_aparecido
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi this link dont work.

Thanks