cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of multiple networks in projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know the standard hierarchy in Project systems like we have definition, then main WBS, then networks, then sub WBS and then activities. Now in this standard hierarchy, even though the activities are under WBS elements, the activities are connected to one network and in network graphic we can define the relationship among the various activities.

I mean by using the single network we can achieve the various objectives, then why most of the projects use multiple networks i.e. network per each WBS elements even though these multiple networks are connected to one network only.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai

The criteria according to which a project is structured using a work breakdown structure and/or networks can vary and depend on the type and complexity of a project. A project can therefore also consist of a work breakdown structure and several /single networks.

For example, the criteria can vary depending on the responsibility and structure of the departments or teams involved, or on how production and assembly are integrated. It is therefore impossible to give a wholesale answer to

the question of how best to structure different types of projects.

As a rule, a project is structured according to two

points of view: structure and process.Network techniques are used for planning and controlling the process flow of projects.

ENJOY SAP

Regards

PP

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usage of multiple networks are always recommended in SAP due to the following reasons.

1) If the number of activities are more in a network, transaction processing time of activities will be increased. SAP recommends maximum of 500 activities & activity elements per a network .

2) Controlling of activities can be effectively utilized as the MRP controller can be assigned at network level.

3) Networks have lock logic. Number of persons can't work on a single network at a time.

4) Ease in usage of reports.

Thanks

Kishore

former_member203098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Using multiple networks in a project

depends upon the scenario and costumer requirement.

we have to define whether the netwok is

Activity assigned Or Header assigned as per the

requirement of the costumer.

using of multiple networks will effect the scheduling

process in the project.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Activity and header assigned network terminology seems to be irrelevant here. In case of activity assigned network the cost rest at the actvity level whereas in case of header assigned network, the cost is displayed at activity but it rest at the header level. Correct me if i am wrong.

Can you brief me how scheduling will affect by the use of multiple networks?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai

Could u mention what exactly u r trying to map? Scheduling scenario or ???

With single network and more activities or multiple network with its activities.

Regards

PP