cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff betwn Item Category Group & Gen Item Cat Grp in Matl Master record

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to know what is the difference between Item category group & general item category group in the Material Master which is reflected on Basic Data 1 (Gen Item cat grp) & Sales Org 2 tab ( Gen. Item cat grp & Item Cat grp). What is its use?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

General item catagory group is the item catagory group defaulted from MM. i.e for every material type there will be item catagory assigned in MM.it will come as it is to general item cat group. the item catagory group is how we r going to use this item in our sales,ex: BOM. HAWA will be assigned NORM in MM by default. We use the HAWA as ERLA or LUMF in our sales process.

Correct me if i wrong.

Reward if Helpful

SASi

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

The 1st General item catg grp is the generalized item catg grp of the material. It is not a mandatory field.

The 2nd Item Catg Grp is the one which is going to determine the item category in the sales order. SAP uses the value here to determine the item catg in the order.

If the system doesnot find any value in the 2nd Item Catg Grp, then the system uses the value in the General item catg grp to propose the item catg.

Item catg Determination: Sales order + Item Catg Grp + Usage + High Level Item Catg.

In the sales order select the material & press F8. It will take to material master. Find the 2nd item catg grp mentioned there.

Check the item catg determined in VOV4. The item catg grp which is used there determines the item catg that we find in the item overview in the sales order main screen.

Regards,

Sivanand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind,

Any item category group determines item category which will process the item level data in the sales document processing.

If it is a gen item category group which is configured at client level and is defaulted from MM configuration .It is configured specific to distribution channel, it has priority if the corresponding activity is distribution channel-dependent.

Hope this helps you.

Regards....Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for posting this thread ,

I gone through so many threads like the below

but i am unable to understand the difference and the actual usage ,

" I seen both general item cat group and item category in the sales view 2 in mm01".

Please kindly explain me the usage with the example so that it would be help full for all of the beginners.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi arvind

General Item category group is meant especially for Inbound delivery and it is not valid for the respective Sales organisation & Distribution channel for which you created the material. It is defaulted from material mngt.

Item category group is valid for outbound delivery and is valid for the respective Sales organisation & distribution channel.It is used for the assignment of Item category which is reflected in the sales document.

Regards]

Pradyumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Diff. between these 2 are item category group helps to determine item category

where as gen. item category is used for distribution channel specific...try this while using

common distribution channel..

Regards

sujith

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Item Category determines the processing of any Item/material that we enter in a sales order and in this way it also effects the procesing of any sales doc in which it is used.

Item Category Group is one of the component which along with the Sales Doc Type, The Item Usage and Higher Level Item Category decide about the Item Category in a sales doc.

for example we can ERLA as item cat group and carry out the header level pricing or we can LUMF and do the item level pricing in case of a Sales BOM.

General item category group talks about further classification of a material. Like NLAG- non stock material can be used to identify bom header items, service items.

Hope it helps

PS: Do award points if helps.