Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Debugging in PDK.Net

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using PDK.NET 1 Patch 3 for developing applications for EP6SP12 Using MicroSoft VS2003.

I followed the guidelines for doing local debugging (connecting to port 8049, which was setup for debugging).

However, when debugging the debugger just passes my breakpoints and I get the message The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No Symbols have been loaded fot this document.

Did anyone succeed in doing the local debugging ?

Regards,

Igor

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is what I did for .NET PDK 2.0 setup:

To setup local debugging properly, follow the instructions in this blog:

/people/anne.tarnoruder/blog/2005/11/24/introducing-the-pdk-for-net-documentation

There is a missing piece of info that the blog fails to mention! To complete the setup follow the Config Tool section of the following blog:

/people/karsten.geiseler/blog/2005/07/04/netweaver-portal-debugging

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ofer,

1. You're right. Breakpoints aren't hit (question mark appears inside the breakpoint-image (red cicle)), but Iview is executed normally.

2. Software landscape :

Developers use the MS Visual Studio on their clients, the runtime is on a separate server.

1) On developer machine :

*Windows XP SP2

*Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003

*PDK 2.0 Addin for MS Visual Studio .Ner

*.Net Connector

2) On runtime machine (Win2000)

*. Net Runtime

*SAP.Net Runtime Service

3) On Portal Server (Unix-AIX)

*SAP Enterprise Portal 6.0 SP15

*PDK.Net files

Hope this helps you further. I will try to test the scenario you describe in the third point today.

Regards,

Igor

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We just tried local debugging on an WINXP SP1 desktop, with no luck. Still get the question marks in the breakpoints (This breakpoint will not currently be hit, no symbols have been loaded), altough in the "<u>obj\Debug"</u>-folder I find the <applicationname>.<b>pdb</b>-file.

Does WinXP SP1 also gives problems or am I doing something wrong ? I just follow the documentation available on SDN.

Regards,

Igor

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

In a previous post I asked you some questions that you did not answer... I need your answers so I can try to help:

1. I'm assuming that your breakpoints aren't hit, but your code does run (you see a normal result in the portal). Please correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption

2. Can you tell me a little about your software landscape -

I mean, what PDK component is installed where - EP, PDK VS add-in, run-time NT service (is everything on the same computer or domain?), what is configured in the portal PDK-Service, what is configured (ports and servers) in the run-time/s? please be detailed, since it seems like this is a configuration issue.

3. In the mean time, also please try the following and tell me what happens - stop all the PDK NT services that are running <b>anywhere</b> in any server (your PC and other) and try again to debug. Do you get the same result or in this case your code doesn't run at all?

Regards,

Ofer

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ofer,

I'm trying to do local debugging in Visual Studio. I therefor followed the documentation and set up following :

1. Check whether the .pdb (portal debugging files) are included in the PAR

• Goto : Microsoft VS > Tool > Options > SAP > Portal

• Check if “Include debugging information files” is checked

2. Set Project debugging properties

• Goto : Project > <project name> properties > Configuration Properties > Debugging

• In Start Action > Start External Program set a reference to <Portal Add In Installation Folder>\Debug\ep.exe

Example : C:\Program Files\SAP\Portal Add-in for Visual Studio 2003\Debug\ep.exe

• In Start Options > Command line arguments set the portnumber for debugging : 8049

3. Debugging the portal component

• In Solution Explorer, right-click the project that you want to debug, and select Set as StartUp Project.

• Right-click the portal component that you want to debug, and select Set as StartUp Component.

• Set the breakpoints in the portal component code.

• Select Start from the Debug menu, or Debug from the portal component context menu, or press F5.

When I start debugging my breakpoints(visualized by a little red ball in the code) turns into a red ball with a question mark inside and I get the message "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No Symbols have been loaded fot this document"

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

1. I'm assuming that your breakpoints aren't hit, but your code does run (you see a normal result in the portal). Please correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption

2. Please try the following and tell me what happens - stop all the PDK NT services that are running anywhere in your landscape (your PC and other) and try again to debug. Do you get the same result or in this case your code doesn't run at all?

3. Can you tell me a little about your software landscape -

I mean, what PDK component is installed where (EP, PDK VS add-in, run-time NT service), what OSs are used (and OS SPs) are used on each of these machines, is everything on the same computer or domain, what is configured etc'?

4. I also remind you that you can also open a support call (OSS) to SAP and tell them the same info. This way they can later establish a remote connection to you if the need arises.

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

Is your dev workstation running XP SP 2 ? If so that may be the problem.

Cheers

Bob

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're indeed running on XP SP2. What is the problem with SP2 ? Can this be fixed ?

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Igor, There may be a compatibility problem with XP SP2. You may want to try using a workstation w/o SP2 or even a Win2000 workstation. Or another solution <?> is what we are doing now - running VS on the Win2003 portal server and accessing VS from our workstations via remote desktop. It is cumbersome but it works. We got to this solution after several days of remote troubleshooting with the experts at SAP.

Bob

igor_vernelen3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ofer,

I just followed documentation available on

https://media.sdn.sap.com/html/submitted_docs/dotnet/Programming%20with%20PDK%20for%20.NET/Previewin...

Where it says for Local debugging (amongst others) :

Command line arguments: <port number for runtime> (the default value is 8060)

Regards,

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK,

I think this section of the documentation might have confused you. So you still have to tell me what you want to do and what is happening (what does "can't connect" mean") so I can help.

For now let me take a guess from what you told me so far -

The port configured for debugging in VS has nothing to do with the port you use to connect to the EP (java) portal in the server explorer. You should use the regular port in the server explorer (usually 50000). Hope that helps, If not, give me more details.

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor,

1. Did you compile the project in Debug mode?

2. Did you include the Pdb file in the par file?

3. After hitting F5 did you got to see your component?

4. Is the runtime component of the PDK for .NET is installed on the same host as the PDK Add-in component? if you are you able to debug by attaching the Epsrv.exe process and viewing the desired portal component?

Regards,

Tsachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm confused by your post, if you did local debugging, why did you connect to a port? For local debugging all you need to do is select a portal component as "startup component" (right click it) and then hit F5.

If I misunderstood your intentions, could you please explain what you want to do in more details?

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igor, I am having the same problem for the past 3 weeks. Let me know if you find a fix.

Thanks

Bob