Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM and SOA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello mdm experts,

I have created/simulated a MDM harmonization scenario:

First to all I have simulated 3 back-end systems that store product catalog information (laptops, monitors, DVD...etc).

It's really false because data has been created from scratch in an Excel Document.

Then, I have imported/customized SRM-MDM repository en MDM console tool and import data using import manager. Finally I've created rules/strategies in Data Manager and Finally I have achieved a new scenario with product consolidated information.

Now, I'd like to relate this scenario with SOA I don't understand the relationship between SOA&MDM.

As far as I know, MDM is the basis for SOA, it means that If an enterprise want to work with SOA it's necessary to have a unique view of all master data.

But, regardless of this "technical concept". How is related MDM&SOA? I mean:

- To consume a MDM repository (as SRM-MDM ) is SOA?

- Can I consume a Web Services? From where? What type of information does it contain? How can I use then? An example related to my scenario could be very helpful.

- What is the relationship between Web Services and MDM Java APIS? Can I create WebServices using MDM Java APIS? What type of services could I create? Where can I publish this services?

These are very basis questions but It's very important to me to understand this relationship.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Marta.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marta,

Your understanding is correct to some extent. There are various ways to look at MDM. Technically it lacks a lot but as the necessary add-ins (read APIs) via which you can achieve whatever you need to.

Realistically though clients/vendors want to limit the usage of APIs for obvious reasons - resource overhead, complex activities and maintenance costs. Thats the reason clients look forward to a service based architecture so that there is least development involved.

Coming back to your queries:

To consume a MDM repository (as SRM-MDM ) is SOA? I have not worked on this scenario so will not comment much.

Can I consume a Web Services? From where? What type of information does it contain? How can I use then? An example related to my scenario could be very helpful.

Web services can be utilised in two ways here:

1. Data Maintenance via external (non MDM) UI such as Portal or another Web App is one instance. This service is used by MDM to replicate to some extent Data manager (DM). DM is a thick client so generally vendors/client suggest thin clients to access data. Thats where these Web services come into picture. More information on this is in your next question

2. You also have Enrichment Web Services. Data Quality within MDM is nothing to boast off. So MDM has supplemented itself with an Enrichment Architecture so that you can use 3rd party Data Quality tool and call its services as a request/response cycle for data cleansing.

What is the relationship between Web Services and MDM Java APIS? Can I create WebServices using MDM Java APIS? What type of services could I create? Where can I publish this services?

There is no direct relationship between Java APIs and Web Services. These are 2 of the 3 ways to access MDM from a UI. Third way is to use Standard Business package (but this is strictly for SAP Portal).

You can build a custom application from scratch via Java APIs. Have your own UI. Own event handling. Own CONTROL. Similar goes for web services except that it provides wrap-in functionality for CRUD operations. Also it is not possible to use Visual composer for MDM unless you use Web Services.

As for your last question you can build your own web service but why re-invemt the wheel? And you will host this service on your company's Web Application Sphere - SAP WAS for instance.

Hope this helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Devashish,

Thank you for your reply!!

But, please, let me know if I understood correctly everything:

There are two ways to "put Web services in MDM picture":

1. Enrichment Architecture: For instance, Data Manager includes some tools (i.e. validation/transformation tab included in DM record/matching mode) that maybe is not good enough to validate/transform our data located in DM). So, We want to supplement it with an 3rd party Architecture using external web services to improve this functionality.

2. UI: If I understood correctly, DM is considered a thick client. So, It's more appropiate to use thiner UI. There is 3 ways to use a thiner UI:

- First: Using the Standard Business package EP that allows to connect to MDM DM via Iviews.

- Second: Custom application from scratch via Java APIs.

- Thrird: Develop a WebService using SAP NWDS. Host it in my company WAS. Consume it via Visual Composer&Create an Iview. Use this new iView in EP.

Is everything correct?

If so, For each scenario:

1. What any additional tool necessary to develop first scenario?

2. Could you please provide me detailed documentation about how to create a web service that connects to MDM and how to hold it in WAS?

Is it neccesary to create a web service from scratch? Can I use another tool (i.e. PI) to this objective? How?

As for your last question you can build your own web service but why re-invemt the wheel? I don't understand you.

Thanks in advance,

Marta.

Edited by: Marta Sánchez on Jun 24, 2008 1:29 PM

Edited by: Marta Sánchez on Jun 24, 2008 1:54 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marta,

Yes your understanding is correct. Just a few clarifications:

1) You do not necessarily need a UI. Many people are happy using DM tool itself. So it is upto the business requirements and data stewards to decide which is more healthier for corporation.

2) There are pre defined Web Services which can be used to perform CRUD operations. So there is no need to use Java API to build web services completely from scratch. Use the SAP provided web services. For more information dig more in forums and help SAP and you are sure to find references. (-- no re inventing --)

3) The role of PI is to transfer data between MDM and <X> system. While what web service is doing is trapping data from your developed user interface (EP for instance) and putting into MDM. Converse is true as well. You can use Java API in case you need to develop completely custom application

4) We generally use NWDS (Web Dynpro for Java/Abap) for all development activities. For standard Business Package usage, again request to dig around and you are bound to get references. And for NWDS/Web Dynpro refer to Enterprise Portal forum.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help Devashish

Answers (0)