cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asynchronous Communication - R/3 <-> XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to get your opinion on the best method of Asynchronous communication between R/3 and XI given the following assumptions:

• ABAP Proxies are not an option. SAP R/3 is version 4.6C with Basis 4.6D

• Standard IDocs are only available for a few of the interfaces (10%)

Options:

1. Standard IDocs when available and custom IDocs for other interfaces.

Pros

• Guaranteed one-time delivery

• Record of data sent from R/3

• Performance is manageable at multiple stages

• Excellent monitoring, and retry ability

Cons

• Requires creating custom IDocs

2. Transactional RFCs

Pros

• Guaranteed one-time delivery (with tRFC)

• Faster to implement than custom IDocs

Cons

• No record of data sent from R/3

• Performance isn’t as manageable as with IDocs

• Limited ability to monitor and retry

Points will be rewarded...

Thanks,

Jesse

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jesse,

More than PRO's and CON's in your case, I guess the first that needs to be considered is the feasibility of the implementation.

1. Proxies are ruled out.

2. If a IDOC is not available, unless there are multiple system using this interface does not make sense to create a custom IDOC.

3. So, more or less you are left out with a RFC Adapter. Someone has to create a custom function which can be called.

Regards,

Ravi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jesse,

In contrary to the answers above, i would vote for IDoc. Although it is more development effort, it will really pay back through the better monitoring in production. For most customers i've seen, monitoring was really a pain in the neck, so the more convenient it was, the more monitoring was really carried out...

Another point you should consider, is the current knowledge within the CC. Have they implemented RFCs and are familiar with that or have they implemented IDoc scenarios and are more familiar with ALE? I think there is no standard answer on RFC vs. IDoc. It highly depends on the customer and the people involved.

Best regards

Christine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jesse,

I think the best option is to use RFC adapter for your requirements where the standard IDoc is not available.

The reason for this is, someone needs to develop ABAP function modules for RFC as well as IDocs. If it is a custom IDoc, then you have to create custom IDocs and all of its components (segments, IDoc types, Message types, partners, process codes etc.) to execute a function module which is a custom code. Instead of going through all this hassle, better use RFCs.

In some cases you need to use IDoc where you want to reprocess the data instead of getting it from the source again.

If you need more information let me know.

regards

Shravan