cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager EarlyWatch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a test system setup for Solution Manager 4 and we also have a ECC6 test system setup. I am trying to setup earlywatch data transfer between the 2 systems. At the moment I have EWA data being gathered for solution manager in SDCCN and it is sent to SAP and that generates a report doc, which I can access. I can also see the data it has gathered in its raw form in SDCCN corresponding to its task. The ECC6 test system also has SDCCN activated and it seems that i can gather data for that system and send it to SAP without solMan. I thought that solman was to be used to schedule weekly EWA to the satellite system to request data and send this data to SAP from solMan. I was going to schedule a task on ECC6 to send data to Solution manager by creating a RFC link to solution manager from ECC6, which it can use but can someone please clarify this as i am a bit confused. I thought all data gathering from satellite systems should be done from solMan. Also i did look at note 207223 and 763561 for SDCCN.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Mani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

some more:

From your post I understand you're trying to set up the second kind of EWA.

To do this, you have to add the satellite system to a solution landscape in your solution manager.

former_member209604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorted it out myself.

If the user is getting the following error message in the affected EWA task log:

Error when opening an RFC connection

Data collection failed for server <HOSTNAME>_<SID>_<INSTANCE_NUMBER> on <HOSTNAME>

Ensure the hostname corresponds on the hostname the Solution Manager system is running on. If this not the case then proceed with checking:

transaction SDCCN, menu -> Settings -> Task-specific, click on "Server Overview" table icon and check if the new hostname is the hostname the Solution Manager is running on. If not, then change this and re-run an EWA task.

Reason is that the Solution Manager system is looking for an RFC destination in RFCDES table that does not exist because hostname was incorrect.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The solution is : delete and replace service definitions.

Explanation can be found in SAP Note 727998.

Regards,

Alain Chanemouga

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I can see SAP Earlywatch Alerts there, which are failing at the moment with red flags. Sounds sad but i was thinking over the weekend that if I create a task in SDCCN on solMan to gather EWA data and send to SAP, setup a session on the satellite system to refresh session data from solMan, which will copy over the EWA task. The satellite system will run this EWA task and send the data to SAP but it will be for the ECC 6 satellite system. I will try and setup a EWA task today and before it runs schedule a session refresh so it picks up the EWA task in the satellite system and see if i can get a EWA report.

reckon this will work?

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I setup a refresh session task on the satellite system and it appears its not picking up the EWA task. i had a look at the task log and it says:

Session is ignored due to unknown type EWALERT SolMan

also the maintenance package task does the job of the refreshing session from not only SAP but from the Solman system.

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks David for your replies.

Yes the ECC 6 system is added to the solution landscape and it has a logical component assigned. In the smsy transaction it has pulled all the information from the ECC 6 system about clients and support pack info.

So what i understand from your reply is that the EWA data is gathered by the satellite system, as per task setup in SDCCN i.e. in ECC 6 and that is sent by the ECC6 system to solMan system. The solman system takes this data and compiles a report similar to the one available via sap marketplace or is it just raw data available in a tree drop down form?

Also how does transaction dwsp tie into this? Everytime i run a schedule in it, it fails. Does this create a session in SDCCN on the satelittle system or is it kept in syn either way when a earlywatch alert is created?

My understanding is that i need to run a periodic EWA alerts on the satelittle system (ECC 6), which sends session data to solman and no task needs to be setup to request data in solman.

sorry about the questions but i really so appreciate the help and do reward points in return for help.

Many thanks,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

I had some difficulty posting my answers, that's why they were split up.

What do you mean by scheduling dswp? Do you mean a particular job like SM: EXEC SERVICES?

The solution manager creates the EWA sessions for the satellite systems, the satellite systems "pick up" the sessions from the solution manager using RFC.

That means there must be a task in SDCCN in the satellite system which "asks" Solution Manager for new sessions. (Usually this is the maintenance package task or sometimes a session refresh task)

best regards,

-David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

David, I have created a to do list. Please let me know if you disagree.

1. So there needs to be an RFC connection from the satellite system to solman so it can refresh its session info from solman with right authorizations.

2. A "session refresh" task needs to be scheduled on a daily basis on satellite system to refresh from solman

3. Periodic EWA tasks created in solman in SDCCN for targetted satellite system. These are picked up by ecc 6 in "refresh session" to populate its SDCCN list of tasks.

How does that sound, almost there?

thanks,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

I think you're almost there.

For 1) I would mention that the RFC connection has to be maintained in SDCCN of the satellite system, not just existing in sm59

for 2) the refresh session task has to have this RFC connection as a target, otherwise it won't find the sessions.

best regards,

-David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I have got far as creating a refresh session task on satellite system which was succesful but when it comes to creating an early watch session task on Solman (request session data) it won't allow me to select the RFC destination to the ECC6 system. the only ones available are the one to SAP or NONE. I thought if i added the RFC in task specific (RFC destinations)then it would be in the list to select. I also had to delete the ealrywatch task setup for solman so i could create this EWA for satellite system.

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

I think there has been a small misunderstanding. The EWA sessions are created in Solution Manager, but not by SDCCN.

As far as I know they are created automatically when a satellite system has been added to a solution landscape.

Have you checked DSWP->Solution where satellite system is->operations setup->solution monitoring->EarlyWatch Alert->Setup EarlyWatch Alert to see if there is a check mark in the"active" column?

best regards,

-David.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mani,

there are two different kinds of EarlyWatch Alert:

one is created in the satellite system and collects and sends data to SAP, SAP processes the data and places a report in SAP Service Marketplace.

the other is created in your Solution Manager system and "fetched" by the satellite system using an RFC connection. The satellite system collects and sends data to the Solution Manager. The Solution Manager creates the report and the report is also in your Solution Manager. Under certain circumstances the raw data is forwarded to SAP, but a report doesn't appear at SAP Service Marketplace for this kind of session.

I hope that helps.

best regards,

-David.

Former Member
0 Kudos