cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it important to monitor SP01 or the Spool Requests?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guys,

Part of my tasks is to monitor the SAP systems we are handling but I would like to get the concept of the need to monitor SP01 such as if there are errors what is the impact in the system? In the spool work process etc?

Can you help me through?

Thanks,

Jennah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Schedule the spool reorg jobs.

Monitor the spool queue max count to determine if you need more spool processes.

I think the max spool is about 90000, I have only seen 1 system go up this high. If that happens, it just means a printer hasn't been working in a LONG time, or the spool reorg job hasn't been run. (or someone's flooding the system w/ printing requests).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak and Siddhesh,

I really do appreciate your consistent response in my queries.

Regards,

Jennah

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jennah,

So if your question has been answered , please mark the question as answered.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Anyone knows the default time a spool request is kept in the system?

Regards,

Jennah

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jennah,

I don't think there is any default time till which a spool request is kept. I think the system keeps it till we want it to be kept.

So you got to schedule the reorg job for spool.

Another thing you can do is , encourage users to activate the option Delete after output in their user master records

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is a parameter but it was used in earlier releases rspo/req_lifetime.

Please look at this note:

Note 64333 - Change default value for spool retention period

You can now change the default value for the spool retention period, which requires you to alter an SAP standard report. Note that this means that the LSPRITOP report must be manually compared for every upgrade.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

wow.. excellent new learning for me.

thanks for providing that info deepak , you seem to be a dedicated SNDer.. with lots of time on your hand

Is this parameter / config valid for SAP Netweaver based systems ?

Regards,

Siddhesh

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Normally you won't need to monitor SP01, cause many times the amount of spool requests generated is too large and lets say you do wish to monitor only those spools which had an error still its better to check this in SM21 as it would have more details about what went wrong.

To keep your TEMSE database (spool database) healthy, I would rather monitor and run transactions and execute menu options of the following.

SP12 -> Temse Data Storage -> Consistency checks

SPAD -> Administration -> Check Consistency

As deepak noted, you can schedule standard cleanup jobs SAP_REORG_SPOOL to perform regular cleanup.

Start transaction SM36 and click on the standard jobs button, this would take you to a screen where you can schedule standard jobs.

Select the job related to SPOOL and schedule it with the required parameters.

Here is the list of Standard Basis jobs that you should have in your systems.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/c4/3a7ede505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Regards,

Siddhesh

Edited by: Siddhesh Ghag on Jun 20, 2008 12:06 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

SP01 is used to monitor the Spool requests. Why we monitor these:

1. Our printing requests are working fine and all the printers are doing there jobs.

2. Spool work process is doing its work properly.

3. If spool requests hangs, why is it so and reason behind.that.

If you would not monitor these, may be the case would be that one request hangs and because of that the spool requests would pile up in SP01.

The problem would be the performance would be hampered. In worst case, people would not be able to work in the systems.

Management of Spools:

1. Check daily the spool requests.

2. Does request fails/hangs due to some specific reason. Check and resolve as soon as possible.

Spool cleaning jobs:

Clean the old spools from the system. Execute report RSPO1041 in the background (SE38).

When deleting in the background, spool data that has errors or is obsolete is also be deleted from the