Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual update of SDM 'hanging'

former_member235924
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

after having an issue with JSPM I am trying to update the SDM manually. The job is running (JVM-bin/SDM.jar), uses a lot of CPU, but doesn't seem to do anything. It was running for nearly 20 hours, then I cancelled it and restarted the update.csh. Still looks the same. Has anyone seen this before?

I have had the same JSPM error on a Windows system before and SAP recommended to update the SDM manually which worked without problems.

Regards,

Ingrid Funken

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

To Correct my issue, in the following command I changed the Xmx384M to 512M

/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk14/bin/java -Xmx384M -jar

/usr/sap/<SID>/<CInn>/SDM/program/bin/SDM.jar jstartup

mode=standalone sdmhome=/usr/sap/<SID>/<CInn>/SDM/program

logfile=/<chooseName>.log

and in the update.csh file in the SDM upgrade directory I changed all the -Xmx64M lines to -Xmx256M.

After these changes I was able to upgrade to SDM's in two separate SAP instances manually and error free.

Thank you for all the assistance,

Doug Slupski

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member235924
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Doug,

the changes in the update.csh did it. I was able to update the SDM manually without any issues.

Thanks a lot,

Ingrid

former_member235924
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Christoph, Teddy,

Thanks for your responses. I had already checked these on Friday and increased the one in sdm_jstartup.properties which helped.

I am still having issues with the SDM, but as I was able to deploy manually and my JSPM seems to work again without issues, I will stop investigating at this point, hoping that the next SPS fixes all the problems.

Thanks,

Ingrid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ingrid,

I have run into the very same problem with the update job running and running and not doing a thing and haven't found an answer yet. If I do I will post it here for you as well.

Regards,

Doug Slupski

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingrid, Doug,

in general that SDM update should work.

Sounds like an issue for an SAP support ticket. I'd like to see a DMPJVM of the looping process.

Best regards

Christoph

former_member235924
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

I had opened a ticket with SAP regarding a BI problem where I was asked to deploy to BI SCA patch files. There I started having problems with SDMgui and then JSPM.

I was meanwhile able to deploy the two SCAs directly (SDM without SDMgui: set the SDM to standalone mode and execute the following commands:

/SDM/program/sdm.sh deploy file=*.SCA updateversions=all

).

The ticket is still in BC-JAS-DPL, but the thread dumps attached to the ticket are for the hanging SDM GUI, not the manual upgrade of SDM.

Regards,

Ingrid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingrid,

when you post the ticket number I could have a look...

Best regards

Christoph

former_member235924
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your interest. The ticket is 356846.

SAP asked me to turn on the SDM trace. Doing this I cannot even connect with the SDMgui, but I see an Outofmemory error in SDM. So I am thinking this might have been the problem all along and checking it out.

I will update the post if I find anything.

Thanks,

Ingrid

teddylv_andersen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingrid.

With the OutOfMemory error I remember finding a note stating that the value 'set sdm_heap_size=64' should be changed to 'set sdm_heap_size=256' in the file Y:\usr\sap\<sid>\DVEBMGS<no>\SDM\program\SDM_jdk.bat.

Best regards,

Teddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingrid,

I think Teddy's hint goes into the right direction.

For the SDM GUI, check the settings in /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SDM/program/sdm_jdk.bat

The value for sdm_heap_size should be reasonable, e.g. 256 or 512 or such. No value should be set for sdm_java_params.

Then, for the SDM server you need to check /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SDM/program/config/sdm_jstartup.properties

The value sdm.MaxHeapSize should not be too small. I'd recommend a value of at least 1GB. And in sdm.JavaParameters you can specifiy the initial heapsize which should not be higher than maxheap/4.

If you're using the SDM via starting in the shell by StartServer.sh, not running in the instance subsystem, then you need to implement the SDM server settings in /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SDM/program/sdm_jdk.sh

Hope that helps,

Christoph