cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a Table row takes too long

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

I have a problem with the Table UI element. It's clearly a browser problem i guess (client-side). The onSelect method of a table is empty, and no other processing is done, but selecting some table row takes about 2-3 seconds. I don't think that this is quite satisfactory. The table is a very simple one - about 5-6 columns, and say, 100 rows in the context, out of which only 30 displayed in the browser at once. Do you have any suggestions about this? Any special javascript settings on the browser or whatever server-side improvements (Actually, i am sure the WebDynPro framework on my engine is set to use Server Side Rendering, and it's still slow for such a simple task as selecting a row...). There is NO significant load on the server itself, and it is a powerful machine (4x CPU, 4 GB ram). Though, sometimes the CPU on the clients rises up to 100% whenever some navigation is performed. I also tested both with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox - the webdynpro application seems to be significantly faster (in terms of navigation) on Firefox! Thank you very much in advance.

P.S: I'm using WebAS 6.40 SP 15

Regards,

Angel

Message was edited by: Angel Todorov

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Angel,

Just a guess:

Node structure is quite complex, node has number of sub-nodes with supply functions defined or supplying relation role specified.

If this is true, then selection of row will cause automatic validation of nested sub-nodes and associated data retrieval is a cause of performance hog.

Valery Silaev

EPAM Systems

http://www.NetWeaverTeam.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery,

Thanks for your reply. The table is populated from only 1 value node, which has the same number of value attributes as the number of columns in the table. No nested nodes or sub-structures (including recursive nodes and so on). The datatypes of these value attributes (columns) are string, long and date (no complex types). One column has a celleditor of type URL (with an imageSource included), displaying some status, but i don't think this can be the bottleneck. Is the way I fill the table (i.e a supplyFunction, manually adding the elements in the node, or also via some model from a DB) the determining factor of the "performance" while navigating on it? I'm asking this because the speed is veeery different on different browsers and client machines, no big load is caused on the server-side itself. Maybe it generates unnecessary javascript each time i select a row, for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Angel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Angel,

Then, according to your description this is definitely a client-side problem.

In general, WD perform some tasks automatically when you selecting node element. So, in effect if you have complex context structure with auto-populated nodes (supply functions or supplying relation roles) this may cause certain performance penalty.

Misuse of calculated attributes may also take a piece from performance pie -- if you have several calculated attributes with complex logic and reuse of same data it is better to place calculated attributes in separate sub-node of cardinality 1..1 and fill them in supply function.

My observation is that WD works a bit quicker with IE6 then in Mozilla / Firefox. Tested on Win32 platforms only.

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery,

Yes you are right. But about the browsers, I found that IE is much slower if the machine is part of a domain, and there are many security roles and checks performed when each app. is started. Otherwise, if the machine is not controlled by a DC, it's much faster.

Regards,

Angel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angel,

This may be due to the browser problem also.

Just check in ur visual Administrator why the performance is going down.For checking in visual Admin You should have access to the J2EE Engine as administrator. For a detailed analysis you need to have WebDynproAdmin permission granted to your user account and access to the Visual Administrator of the J2EE Engine.or else tell ur administrator to do this to check the performance.

The first step is to check client (e.g. browser) performance values.

Depending on the rendering type and browser this analysis may differ.

For SSR (standard) browser clients use the URL extension to see performance values in the browser status line: <b>sap.session.ssr.showInfo=true</b>

This will result in some basic information about the time consumption of the browser, the J2EE component and the backend (elapsed time in [msec]). This gives a good indication whether the browser (IE or Netscape/Mozilla) or the browser PC (e.g. too few resources) is part of the problem.

Hope this helps u,

Regards,

Nagarajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yep, i tried with the ssr.info param, and it only proved that the problems are on the client side. Especially the part "HTML" is basically the bottleneck, which is a bit strange.

Example:

Browser: 453(parsing: 62, HTML: 391, JSBefore: 0, JSAfter: 0) J2EE: 20 Back-End: 0 Estimated Response Size: 161 KB

How can selecting a table row generate a response size of 161 KB ?

Regards,

Angel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angel,

Then u can check ur performance issue in the <b>web dynpro console</b> itself.

For entering into webdynpro console:

<b>http://<localhost>:50000/webdynpro/welcome </b>

Enter inside the console Drilling down to <b>Performance --> Application you can select the package name or component name of your application</b> and investigate which event handler contributed significantly to total time consumption. Note that you can also have a view at the Web Dynpro framework times from here: go to Performance->Server, the Times per User (Performance->User) or the Times per Request: Performance->Request. These are basically different views on the performance data.

Hope this might solve ur problem,

Regards,

Nagarajan.

Answers (0)