Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS Doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have read some documents about TDMS. Few doubts

1) Can TDMS be used for client copy including Cross client data?

2) Assuming, I want to copy using SAP_ALL profile then will there be considerable difference in terms of time required, if I use

a) TDMS

b) traditional client copy tool SCC9 or Client export-import SCC8

Share your views.

- Nirav.

Edited by: Nirav Shah on Jun 19, 2008 11:56 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

1. All cross-client data in the target system (repository, transport history, interfaces, printers etc.)

remains as it is. When performing a refresh for a development system, however, the target client

must not be the development client, because otherwise all open customizing requests are lost. As

far as user data is concerned, SAP TDMS saves client-specific user data and authorizations for the

target client in preparation to the data transfer and restores this information after the transfer to

ensure that the user data in the target system remains intact.

2. If you are copying SAP_ALL then better to use SCC8 etc.

I think You need to refer to the following link

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/customdev-tdms

Specially refer to FAQ.

Thanks

Mona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mona,

Thanks for sharing your views.

I have read TDMS - FAQ document and in fact after reading that only I got mentioned queries.

1) As you have mentioned, Cross - client data is retained in Target system. But what if i also want to overwrite cross client data?

Do TDMS provide that option?

(Closest possibility i can think of is the shell creation functionality. Am not sure though)

2)Regarding My 2nd question: answer can be TDMS as it is also mentioned that SAP TDMS comes with its own deletion tools whose performance is much better than the performance of standard deletion tools. and copy method seems same as SCC9.

But am not sure.

Someone who has experienced in using TDMS will have better idea.

So experts do share your views.

- Nirav Shah.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would like to know the prerequisites one has to go for setting TDMS in his landscape.

For eg Can i use tdms to load data(crossclient + master/trans & cust data) belonging to a database(Oracle) to other system having different database(say Informix)

is the TDMS be implement on cross OS & database platforms becoz I think tdms is not limited for only recent copy of production to test/training or sandbox system

Kindly let me kow & what are the prereq whwn i m running TDMS for the first time.

Also to make tdms run effective/optimal one also needs to do ceratin parameter changes could anyone list the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can use TDMS for dats transfer irrespective of OS and DB combinations. TDMS is used to create test systems with a reduced data set.

There are documents at the service market place

https://websmp207.sap-ag.de/customdev-tdms

Also refer to the FAQ, masterguide at the service market place.

Regards,

Srila.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nirav

Question 1:

You have the following options for setting up the receiver system:

1) If you have a suitable test system (or other recent copy of the production system) at hand, you can use this system u2013 provided that its DDIC and cross-client customizing are the same as in the sender system. Install the TDMS software and use the deletion functions that come with SAP TDMS to get rid of obsolete client-dependent data.

2) You can make a full copy of the production system, install the SAP TDMS software, and then delete all data except the DDIC and the cross-client information from this system copy. The required functions for doing the deletion come with SAP TDMS and are accessible from the process tree. Then you do a data reorganization to free up the disk space.

3) You can use the process type System Shell Package of SAP TDMS: By combining steps from the standard system copy process with the reduction logic provided by SAP TDMS, this package makes it possible to copy only the data needed for a system shell u2013 rather than first copying the complete client and then deleting the data that is not needed in the system shell.

Question 2:

In TDMS there are two profiles which you need to use. You need check them in guide.

Inorder to help you with profile name please let me know what exactly you wish to do.

Thanks

Mona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

TDMS is a software used for creating and refreshing for non-production systems.

1) Can TDMS be used for client copy including Cross client data?

A. Yes.

2) Assuming, I want to copy using SAP_ALL profile then will there be considerable difference in terms of time required, if I use

A. use TDMS. But from my point of view , better use SCC9/SCC8

Please got through the following web sites.

http://service.sap.com/instguides and http://service.sap.com/slo

If you want more details, send me your emailid.

Regards,

Srini Nookala