cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts : File Adapter [Transport Type (NFS Vs FTP)]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have few doubts to be cleared in regards with "FILE ADAPTER" Transport protocol (NFS and FTP).

1) Found to be NFS is much flexible than FTP ? ( Can anyone givr advantage or comnparison of both?)

2) Most of the Client scenrios would be off (FTP) : Well in the FTP Source directory there would be different file with different names --> But while configuring Sender File Adapter i cannot use the wildcards with FTP , gives me error.

For this there was a solution like i can use ????.pdf but my file always should be 4 characters.

3) And one more , we know that SP14 and above has the option of using same file name in Source and destination Directory , We check mark the Filename, but what is use of again specifying the Filename while configuring ???

Kindly clear my doubts and put your view on comparing the above if any other points to be said on the importance of the two different Transport protocols.

thx in advance for help.

With regards

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

FTP: File Transport protocol

NFS: Network File System

One is local drive and the other one is on the network. think our PC as Server then c:/,d:/ as FTPs and Pendrives etc as NFS.

the naming convetions will be provided by the client itself. Each client will have distinguish naming convetions they would like to prefer.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

am fine with the concept of NFS and FTP protocols ,well in understand that

NFS -> On XI Server (or) within the network of XI server.

FTP -> Not within the boundries of XI server (Should get in ftp host and credentials)

Well most of the time client would be using FTP File Server to have his huge dump of files.

My Question

1) Using FTP as my transport protocol -- there are some restrictions when compared to NFS. for instance using of wildcards. Which would be a major problem , since we are not sure what could be the name of the filename that client would be generating.

2) Is there any way to enance FTP protocol as it has many drawbacks

thx in advance for help

regards

Srini

deepak_shah
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

NFS is used when u have acess to place ur file on the XI server directory, which a user may not have.

A user normally has Ftp server details, thats y FTP is used mostlty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

That's exactly okie and fine from what u said , that's y is my purpouse of m y question , since we have ti use FTP ni client palce ..and i see FTP protocol is not supporting many functinalities ??

Is there any trick to handle ??

How u guys overcome this , do u advice clients to follow up with certian file naming concept..

kindly advice me , from u r poitn of view

with regards

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>1) Found to be NFS is much flexible than FTP ?

You can only use NFS if the specified directory is mounted on the XI.

>2) But while configuring Sender File Adapter i cannot use the wildcards with FTP , gives me error

Yes wildcards don't work with FTP.

Here is another thread about this topic:

Regards

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

And one more thing,

In NFS Trasport protocol :

I have checked Advanced Adapter specific attributes (Checked : File Name)

Now in Sender File Adapter : Source Directory : d:/test/xi/Sender

FileName : *

Receiver File Adapter : Source Directory : d/test/xi/receiver

FileName : *

Sender picks up any file witrh any name and format , This will happen but , why it is not putting file in the target folder with same name as the source file , any more settings needed;

In CC Monitor it says

Message processing failed. Cause: com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.RecoverableException: The Adapter Message Property 'Directory' was configured as mandatory element, but was not supplied in the XI Message header: com.sap.aii.adapter.file.configuration.DynamicConfigurationException: The Adapter Message Property 'Directory' was configured as mandatory element, but was not supplied in the XI Message header

Kindly Help

thx

With regards

Srinivas