cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variants and compartments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am quite new to JDI. Although I installed and configured it, I was not able to get few concepts.. i.e.

variants: what are these

compartments: I can see a compartment when I download the devconfig.. SAP has already separted to component level.. but why again compartments here?

where can i find a dev config file.. is it an xml sort of file?

when would one need to login into CBS UI directly..becuase I have never done that till now.. everything is going smooth?

are the libraries present in 3 SCA's that SAP recommends already available in NWDS or will they be downloaded to NWDS when we import the dev config?

I have already gone through documentation..but I didnt understand these concepts.

would really appreciate if someone can help me in this regard.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiva Shiva,

I can answer a few questions.

<i>when would one need to login into CBS UI directly..becuase I have never done that till now.. everything is going smooth?</i>

The NWDI administrator would log into CBS to see how many activations failed/succeeded, who did the activations, what files were involved etc.

<i>are the libraries present in 3 SCA's that SAP recommends already available in NWDS or will they be downloaded to NWDS when we import the dev config?</i>

When you include dependent SCAs on the development track and import the development configuration, the NWDI automatically downloads the SCAs and their associated jar files to your project so that your classpath picks them up. If you don't include them, you will get a bunch of undefined identifier and library errors in your code.

Hope it helps...

JC

Former Member
0 Kudos

One small adjustment:

When you import the Dev Config, no jar files are downloaded (yet). Once you create a project, NWDS downloads the necessary jars for your project. Note that at that point it still does not download all of them!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason and Pascal,

Thank you for your reply.

It would be great if someone could explain the first two queries..i.e.. regarding variants and compartments.

thank you

former_member183805
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Shiva,

Variants are explained in detail here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/38/0b6440bdd39a0ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

A Compartment represents a state of a Software Component. As a simplification, you can think of a Compartment as an SC (Software Component). More details are available here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e4/e2a43f4aa1330ee10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Regards,

Manohar

Answers (0)